• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Need some help w/ Taming :)

JabbatheRedTegu

5 Year Member
Hey everyone, I have a question.
I have heard conflicting stories as to how to best tame my 4-5 month old Red Tegu.
I have only had her for about 3 weeks, she eats out of my hand and is very calm outside of her cage. But getting her out is sometimes tough- never any biting but just quick bolting and running away from me. Then when I quickly scoop her up and keep her on my hand in the cage, she just sits there on my hand.
So my first question - if she scurries away from my giant hand coming in at her, but then is fine once I scoop her up, is it still ok to corner her quickly to get her out of the cage where she calms down instantly? Or would anyone suggest a better approach?
I have heard people say to LEAVE HER ALONE, but I thought only working with her will get her to know and trust me. How else will she trust me if she doesn't know my touch?
I want to have a great (tame) tegu experience for the long-term, so anyone's opinions would be highly appreciated.. thanks :)

Bubblz Calhoun

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Hi Jabbatheredtegu Congrats on the new Gu and welcome to the site.

How is your hand when you are reaching for her, is it over her or do you slide it under her? If you're reaching in with your hand over her and open, she could see it as the claw or mouth of a predator trying to grab and eat her.

Since she's fine outside of her enclosure you should take a step back a spend time getting her use to having you inside as well. Spend some time moving things around, cleaning the enclosure or just sitting there with you hand inside with out bothering or attempting to touch her. Whether its changing the water bowl or mixing up the substrate it doesn't matter.

It sounds like she's just not use to having you in her territory. I don't know if you have done this but when ever possible try not to take or dig her out of her hide. They need somewhere they can feel safe and secure. If she runs into it,..leave her be and come back and try again later when she comes back out.
Also (if you haven't done it already) place an article of clothing in there that you have worn for a while and has your scent on it. That'll also help her get use to your scent and having you close by. :-D

It's a process and can be time consuming but,..be patient we all have to (or have had to) go through it and it truly pays off as they start to come around.

wyattroa

5 Year Member
I here ya man. I think my gu is the spawn of Satan. There are days I walk into her room and she stays basking. Then there are days like today where she takes off to her hide. Man is it frustrating. Then I rest my hand in her tank and slowely move it toward her to the point I can pet her. Her tail wiggled for a second then stops. I gently pick her up and most days she is fine. But days like today she just wanted down and in her cage. She was acting crazy to get back in.

I spend about 2-3 hours a day with her. I sit by her cage in her room. Then rest my hand in the cage. Then I bring her to the bathroom for food and free roam. The odd part is in the bathroom she let's me pick her up no issue and climbs on me and lays on me.

I think she might have some loose screws. Lol
Robert.

P.s. Sorry I didn't help. Just kinda in the same boat as you

Meg90

5 Year Member
When I got my tegu Cleo, about a week ago, everytime I reached in, she went running. Especially when I went to try and take her out. I hated scaring her, or being the reason that she ran.

Then I started just reaching in the cage and petting her. I started with her tail, and then gradually moved upwards, until I was petting her back instead.

I would just come by the cage, mist, talk to her, and then give her a quick rub.

Once she knew I wasn't reaching in to hurt her, and that rubs feel nice, I started to pet her, and then gently pick her up.

It worked like a charm for me. I can reach in whenever I want now, and she's fine with being picked up. I've had her less than two weeks.

So petting her, is what I would suggest.

Dvdh1

5 Year Member
My enclosure is outside so there are all sorts of sounds of nature, dogs barking, the shadow of birds flying over, etc... For the first week when I went outside he bolted into a hidebox. I found very soft voices and moving as slow as molasses so he wouldn't freak out really helped. I have had him two and a half weeks and he has been coming to me when I tap on the enclosure. If one of my kids moves too fast he will still bolt. Calm and very slow is my suggestion. I hope this helps.

Dave

Fork

5 Year Member
What i did with my tegu was i got him into a bin he couldn't climb out of, like a semi deep rubbermaid tub or something similar, then i put the bin next to me on the couch while i watched tv and i just set my hand in the bin the whole time, that way he knew not to fear my hand, after a couple days of doing that for a few hours he didn't show any fear whatsoever towards my hand :D

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
It’s_me