• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

need help with sulcata tortoise

Tortoise

5 Year Member
should i use cyprus mulch ? he eats newspaper , what about calcium sand? or is that too dusty, when i got him they used bark chips. its about the size of a baseball by the way.

MMRR - jif

5 Year Member
The best substrate that I've found for our rescue sulcatas is hay. I prefer to use orchard grass hay which is available at most pet stores in the small animal department. Timothy or alfalfa hay can also be used. The nice thing is that it is completely edible and good for them but you have to keep it clean.

Red Earth Exotics

5 Year Member
i have been looking into getting a sulcata and from what i have read, a great one to use is the hay like MMRR - jif said. good luck with your sulcata, I WANT ONE TOO!!!

Italianlnm

5 Year Member
I use a mix between organic soil (No added nutrients) and a 1/2 mix with Coco Choir.. Then moisten one side.

I have NEVER used hay as a substrate. It doesn't hold the humidity that they need to prevent pyramiding.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erectus