• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Need advice for my tegu eggs

obby

Hallo and tks for accepted at this forum

i just want to ask about my tegu eggs, the eggs was buried at wet place, i clean then i put at incubator
but now growth a fungus, what should i do to take care the eggs. (sorry for my bad english, hope you all understand :) )

tks for any advice

Attachments

• IMG_20161015_153912[1].jpg
    IMG_20161015_153912[1].jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 91
  • IMG_20161015_171821[1].jpg
    IMG_20161015_171821[1].jpg
    959.8 KB · Views: 103

Wolvenspawn

Not familiar fully on Tegu eggs... But all the other reptiles I have bred would suggest that the eggs are not viable anymore if mold takes over. At least in most cases. It also looks like perhaps you did not keep the eggs in the same position they were laid. Typically I use a sharpie and draw a line down the middle length wise so I make sure they are laid back down in the correct manor. Turning the egg for any of my other reptiles even a little could case the embryo to basically drown. Plus the lack of substrate such as perlite seems to be missing. There are to many factors that could be involved to make a fully correct reason why there is mold. I suggest reading these forums further as I have been a member for only a matter of minutes.

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Not familiar fully on Tegu eggs... But all the other reptiles I have bred would suggest that the eggs are not viable anymore if mold takes over. At least in most cases. It also looks like perhaps you did not keep the eggs in the same position they were laid. Typically I use a sharpie and draw a line down the middle length wise so I make sure they are laid back down in the correct manor. Turning the egg for any of my other reptiles even a little could case the embryo to basically drown. Plus the lack of substrate such as perlite seems to be missing. There are to many factors that could be involved to make a fully correct reason why there is mold. I suggest reading these forums further as I have been a member for only a matter of minutes.
Thanks Wilvenspawn. Applicable to to tegu eggs. A short bit after laying you can fiddle with them. Thereafter, watch out, turning will flip them out of their hammock and drown them. Incubation temps to be kept steady upper 80s. Watch moisture.

obby

thanks Wilvenspawn for your advice, i haved ready to keep the eggs corectly same position n i draw line after take the eggs, now after 7 days the eggs look like this ( pict ) problem with fungus

Attachments

• IMG_20161023_124614[1].jpg
    IMG_20161023_124614[1].jpg
    1 MB · Views: 104

Roadkill

5 Year Member
Tegu eggs can be moved about after laying without any concern. In Brasil, I was at first shocked to see that after collecting the eggs, they were washed up by dumping them in a bucket and swishing them around. Turtle eggs this would be the death of them, but tegu eggs are different. We also managed to hatch quite a few that molded, but it very much depends on how heavily they mold up. A little bit on the surface and it isn't bad, but if you can see it penetrate into the egg, then it's no good. The eggs in the photo are clearly dead.
Now, I've heard but not tried it myself, that some people have successfully used an antifungal powder by sprinkling a little on their eggs. Unfortunately, I have no idea exactly what powder they have used.

N8bub

I have no actual experience with using anti fungals on eggs. However I just read this thread and a few others and moved to a different site. I was checking Ty Parks Facebook and he'd poosted on this very issue. He had used Lotrimin on a rhino iguana egg, and it appeared he had hatched a healthy little rhino. Just figured I'd pass that along.

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Tegu eggs can be moved about after laying without any concern. In Brasil, I was at first shocked to see that after collecting the eggs, they were washed up by dumping them in a bucket and swishing them around. Turtle eggs this would be the death of them, but tegu eggs are different. We also managed to hatch quite a few that molded, but it very much depends on how heavily they mold up. A little bit on the surface and it isn't bad, but if you can see it penetrate into the egg, then it's no good. The eggs in the photo are clearly dead.
Now, I've heard but not tried it myself, that some people have successfully used an antifungal powder by sprinkling a little on their eggs. Unfortunately, I have no idea exactly what powder they have used.
Roadkill- at some point after laying, varies among species and probably among temperatures, a rolled reptilian egg WILL kill the embryo until shortly before hatching when fully formed. Too be certain, cross the eggs with marker and carefully move if necessary.

obby

ok tks to all advice, yes the eggs now is dead and buried now, i just want to know my problem eggs dead by fungus or something else ??
maybe next years i can fix it

Wolvenspawn

All I can say is humidity and heat. To much or to little hurts pretty much any egg. I still recommend not moving to much from their laid position. I would pick the brain of individuals who have long term experience on this site such as Walter1, N8bub, and Roadkill. They all may have difference in opinions sometimes but they won't lead you astray and have also already taken time out to help you out in what you were asking. I am sorry your eggs didn't take this year. Could have been a simple matter of not being fertile too. Better luck to you in the future Obby. Read, read, and research. Owning reptiles is always a never ending learning experience.

Roadkill

5 Year Member
Walter1, I'm quite certain you're correct, but I'm also certain that there is at least a 24hour window after egg laying that the eggs can be rotated on the horizontal axis without harm. I did not mean to infer that you could rotate the eggs indefinitely. There's no need to pay attention to the "laid position" unless you're moving the eggs well after they've been laid.

What happens in reptile eggs is the early embryo is suspended from a disc of tissue (the embryonic disc) inside a thin membrane surrounding the yolk. As the embryo develops, water from the albumen is pumped into yolk by the embryonic disc, thereby creating a localized layer of less dense fluid (subembryonic fluid) under the developing embryo. This makes the embryonic disc more buoyant, so that when the egg rolls during laying, the yolk will rotate to ensure the embryo is always on top. After laying, eventually the allantois membrane fuses to the chorioallantois, which is fused to the entire inside of the egg shell. It is at this stage (and afterwards) that you shouldn't rotate the eggs on their horizontal axis. I've heard two reasons for this: rotation can result in tearing of the membranes/embryo (which is pretty clear as to why it would kill the embryo), or if the membranes don't tear, the subembryonic fluid will move through the yolk to take the position on top, leaving the embryo underneath the yolk (possibly the weight is too much for the embryo to handle) where it will die. This differs from bird eggs which possess chalazae, which ensure the yolk is always balanced so that the embryo is on top (and hence why birds can rotate their eggs as they incubate them).

Wolvenspawn, with tegu eggs "too much" humidity is better than too little, as tegu eggs are laid with little albumen which is typically an egg-bound embryo's source of water, so tegu eggs have to continually uptake more water as the embryo develops. This is why tegu eggs are leathery as opposed to hard shelled. Admittedly, you don't want to drown them, but the more real concern with high humidity is whether the incubating medium is sterile. I have had tegu eggs developing droplets of water on their outer surface, thought that meant they were going to die, and they still hatched.

obby, there's a fair chance the eggs were infertile to begin with, in which case there is nothing you could have done to save them. It doesn't look from the one picture you've given that the mother built a proper nest, more just kind of dumped the eggs in a wet spot. Next year, try giving your tegu lots of dead, dry plant matter. We use leaves, hay, and grass clippings, and the tegus "gleefully" push them into their burrows to make nests. Another possibility is the eggs drowned/suffocated, looking at that muddy oviposition site.

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Walter1, I'm quite certain you're correct, but I'm also certain that there is at least a 24hour window after egg laying that the eggs can be rotated on the horizontal axis without harm. I did not mean to infer that you could rotate the eggs indefinitely. There's no need to pay attention to the "laid position" unless you're moving the eggs well after they've been laid.

What happens in reptile eggs is the early embryo is suspended from a disc of tissue (the embryonic disc) inside a thin membrane surrounding the yolk. As the embryo develops, water from the albumen is pumped into yolk by the embryonic disc, thereby creating a localized layer of less dense fluid (subembryonic fluid) under the developing embryo. This makes the embryonic disc more buoyant, so that when the egg rolls during laying, the yolk will rotate to ensure the embryo is always on top. After laying, eventually the allantois membrane fuses to the chorioallantois, which is fused to the entire inside of the egg shell. It is at this stage (and afterwards) that you shouldn't rotate the eggs on their horizontal axis. I've heard two reasons for this: rotation can result in tearing of the membranes/embryo (which is pretty clear as to why it would kill the embryo), or if the membranes don't tear, the subembryonic fluid will move through the yolk to take the position on top, leaving the embryo underneath the yolk (possibly the weight is too much for the embryo to handle) where it will die. This differs from bird eggs which possess chalazae, which ensure the yolk is always balanced so that the embryo is on top (and hence why birds can rotate their eggs as they incubate them).

Wolvenspawn, with tegu eggs "too much" humidity is better than too little, as tegu eggs are laid with little albumen which is typically an egg-bound embryo's source of water, so tegu eggs have to continually uptake more water as the embryo develops. This is why tegu eggs are leathery as opposed to hard shelled. Admittedly, you don't want to drown them, but the more real concern with high humidity is whether the incubating medium is sterile. I have had tegu eggs developing droplets of water on their outer surface, thought that meant they were going to die, and they still hatched.

obby, there's a fair chance the eggs were infertile to begin with, in which case there is nothing you could have done to save them. It doesn't look from the one picture you've given that the mother built a proper nest, more just kind of dumped the eggs in a wet spot. Next year, try giving your tegu lots of dead, dry plant matter. We use leaves, hay, and grass clippings, and the tegus "gleefully" push them into their burrows to make nests. Another possibility is the eggs drowned/suffocated, looking at that muddy oviposition site.
Hi Roadkill- I'm not certain if you check personal messages, so I'll say that you're right on. I have a Ph.D. in biology and am a herpetologist that works in a museum. No attempt at a dominance move. Only to share a sense of kindred spirit, I hope.

Roadkill

5 Year Member
None taken or attempted, either. The one thing I have always attempted to achieve on these forums is to share the facts as I know them so that others can have a greater understanding of the biology of tegus. My earlier statement was not as accurate as it could have been, I was assuming most people don't play with the eggs after they gather them up and incubate them, you were correct in pointing out what I hadn't.

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
None taken or attempted, either. The one thing I have always attempted to achieve on these forums is to share the facts as I know them so that others can have a greater understanding of the biology of tegus. My earlier statement was not as accurate as it could have been, I was assuming most people don't play with the eggs after they gather them up and incubate them, you were correct in pointing out what I hadn't.
We're working for good!

obby

All I can say is humidity and heat. To much or to little hurts pretty much any egg. I still recommend not moving to much from their laid position. I would pick the brain of individuals who have long term experience on this site such as Walter1, N8bub, and Roadkill. They all may have difference in opinions sometimes but they won't lead you astray and have also already taken time out to help you out in what you were asking. I am sorry your eggs didn't take this year. Could have been a simple matter of not being fertile too. Better luck to you in the future Obby. Read, read, and research. Owning reptiles is always a never ending learning experience.

sure i do wolvenspawn, learn and research as i learn at 2 years now, maybe next time i can do better.. thanks u very much :)

obby

thanks you roadkill for your advice, i will try that what you say next years, :)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
It’s_me