• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Mystery Illness?

nessanicolle

Okay so before I got my Iguana and tegu, my boyfriend insisted not to get an iguana. The reason? They were difficult to care for (for most people) and he then went on to explain how there is a certain age they get to when they become very vulnerable (almost sickly as he described it) and are very susceptible to sickness and if not given accurate care they die.

He said that happens to most lizards.. I'm not sure what he meant and I'm beginning to think it was MBD. Has never used a uvb bulb for the reptiles he has owned (2 iguanas and a Savannah Monitor, not to mention the savannah he has now). They had all died pretty young, like not even a year old. I called him today and told him he needs a uvb bulb because he doesn't give the savannah any supplements or calcium and doesn't take it outside.. the poor thing! And he told me you don't need one.. So i was just wondering if anyone had some thoughts about what he had told me? MBD or seasonal issues?

got10

What the heck is he talking about . Iggy are no more prone to sickness unless they are already sick than any other lizard. If he takes care of them poorly of course they will get sick and die . He needs to go to a library and do a bit of research on his animals . Maybe his husbandry skills are lacking here or/and he is getting sic stock

Thelegendofcharlie

5 Year Member
Whether a Savannah monitor needs UVB is debatable, simply put, many appear to thrive without it.
(one must bear in mind though, reptile physiology and metabolcs are not wholly understood and this may prove to be innacurate given more investigation.)
Iguanas on the other hands ceartainly need UVB.
There is no mystery here, only improper husbandry.
Please encourage your boyfriend to educate himself on the requirements of his future pets or they will suffer the same painful fate.

dragonmetalhead

1,000+ Post Club
That statement makes no sense. Elderly animals are vulnerable of course, but it doesn't sounds like your boyfriend's reptiles lived to a ripe old age. Please make sure he takes care of his savannah monitor since you seem like a person who is not adversed to doing a bit of research.

Dana C

The fact that the other lizards died very early suggests a couple of things to me.
The lack of calcium supplements besides a major factor in MBD also has a big part to play in heart health. Lowered calcium can have a effect on muscles. Cramping is sometimes due to a calcium intake which is lower than a humans or animals requirements.
As far as the iguana goes and the Sav., a UVB lighting source is a must, IMHO, Yes I know that the necessity is debatable but in this case I would want to err on the safe side.
I don't know what the Iguana is being fed but dark green leafy plant foods like spinach, kale, collard greens, mustard greens etc. contain more calcium than other plant foods. As for the Savannah, weekly whole prey, chopped chicken wings, mixed ground meat, whole fish and all supplemented with calcium and a multi vitamin is in order as well.
As for your boyfriend, he needs to do the research and read the science or he shouldn't keep lizards. I know that sounds harsh but somewhere here is some really bad husbandry going on which according to you has resulted in the early death of more than one lizard.

You on the other hand are asking questions and doing the reading. I trust that in your care, all the lizards are much more likely to thrive.

nessanicolle

Thank you, that's what i thought. and i'm actually going to give him mine so that he has one, of course his ball python doesn't need it but I'm going to get brand new ones soon anyway..

I just found it funny (not literally) because he sounds like he knows what he's doing but I guess not!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pags1029