• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

My Tegu tail is turning green on the tip

seventenrat

I just got my colombian tegu two days ago and he has a damaged tail tip. The owner who gave him to me said her other tegu "nibed" it. It has discoloration about 1 1/2"- 2" of the very tip. There is blood coming out of it. I want to help heal it. Is it infection? Will it fall off? I have provided a picture of it. Please help and thank you for your replies.

Attachments

• picture043.jpg
    picture043.jpg
    147.9 KB · Views: 50

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
A visit to the vet is in order to cut off the infected section and provide antibiotics.

loweryrr

Sorry for the misspelled word. Could be tail rot or it could be gangrene. No clue about the green discoloration. To combine this response and another, if it is drying out then the tissue is dead and still could be either. An amputation is still a probability. If you wait for it to drop off you run the risk of dry gangrene spreading and the lizard dying. Wet gangrene is gangrene with an infection. Iodine soaks are good for clearing up an infection but dry gangrene isn't an infection. Its the process of dead flesh killing the surrounding tissue and spreading. If it progresses too far up the tail it could be fatal. Tail rot is an infection i believe so iodine would help the infection but if it looks dead and brittle it will need amputated. They have to amputate in the good flesh so they can be sure they removed all the dead flesh. It looks like its at the end so it would probably be easier to have it done now as opposed to when its in the fleshy part of the tail. It would probably be cheaper too. Best bet would still be to see a vet even if it looks like its improving.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980