• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

My Tegu Pictures

Bubblz Calhoun

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
There are plenty of threads on the topic of hibernation. But if you look at it from the basic definition of what hibernations is "to spend the winter in a dormant or torpid state" then yes they do.
Most people when they think of hibernation they think of bears practically comatose during the winter. But even that's not the case since it has been proven that some are active during.

nepoez

5 Year Member
Bubblz Calhoun said:
There are plenty of threads on the topic of hibernation. But if you look at it from the basic definition of what hibernations is "to spend the winter in a dormant or torpid state" then yes they do.
Most people when they think of hibernation they think of bears practically comatose during the winter. But even that's not the case since it has been proven that some are active during.

So what affects the hibernation? Is it the temperature or just simply an internal clock built in? Because my temperatures are definitely not Columbian winter temperatures.

kingofnorse

From what I know of reptiles in general, it differs between WC(wild caught) and CB(captive born) ones. If its captive born then its typically a temperature thing. Columbia is kind of the souther california climate with more humidity. 70-80 inland while 60-70F coastal. Now, you also may want to note that taking the two collars is a change to the environment, no matter how small thus he may still be in his 'new' stress mode and just needs to get adjusted again. Just double check your temps and you should be good I would assume.

Chantel

chelvis said:
I would listen to what others are saying, the reason being is simple.

The collard lizard you have there is a desert animal requiring high heat, low humidity and a sandy or dry substrate. The tegu you have is a tropical lizard requiring a high humidity, high heat and a moist substrate, just to do bare essentials. Too much humidity for the collard lizard can cause fungal infection and respiratory issues, too low of humidity for the tegu can cause respiratory issues and skin issues.

Collared lizards eat insects, tegus eat almost anything including smaller lizards. You could wake up to a hungry tegu munching on a smaller lizard leg.

Parasites can be passed from either animal to the other. Collared lizards and Colombian Tegus are both often wc and can have lots of parasites. Having lost an animal to a parasite infection its heart wrenching.

I don't wish to put you off from reptiles, but quarantine new animals is very important and housing species separate can prevent a lot of heart ach.

I just want to thank this user for actually explaining what the problem was instead of attacking OP for doing something wrong. This user wasn't a jerk about it, but helped to educate OP which is what we should all be here for.

I just do NOT understand why 99% of the people on this site feel the need to be so rude all the time. Unless you're a herpetologist with a degree you need to calm down, I bet your conditions aren't perfect, either.

We need to be more focused on EDUCATING and EXPLAINING instead of ATTACKING and INSULTING. I'm sick of it already!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
annettekirtont