• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

My tegu hates me

Fairywithboots

Hello, I’m new here. I’m an experienced reptile and insect owner. I’ve been waiting for a rescue adult tegu my whole life. I’m finally in a position where I can support one. I rescued a tegu from a hoarding situation out of state where they are an invasive species, the state busted the hoarding house and they were going to put them all down. I had to drive across state lines to get her from a fedex site. I picked the one that I did because they were all labeled by numbers except for her. They called her snuggles, they said they did that because she is special and a very friendly loving and affection seeking tegu. I immediately gravitated towards her. The day I received her in the mail my entire house flooded on the first floor and now they have to redo the entire downstairs bathroom right next to where her 8x4 enclosure was being set up. She is now free roaming my room (with access to water With calcium supplements in it, a uv light, a basking light, a soak tub, and plenty of cool down space and a ton of hiding areas I’ve set up for her) I’ve turned my whole small room into a Tegu paradise, It’s miserable to sleep in, I cool it down at night but even the 70s is too hot for me to comfortably sleep. I’ll do it for her tho. After day one I Contacted the rescue with a few questions they then informed me that she has been in the wild for two years was captured to avoid the hunting season in Florida and hoarded in a house and has only been in captivity for a month (this happened after I got her) The first two days she was amazing and snuggly and didn’t mind being touched doesn’t really like being picked up tho. It’s now day 3 and she hates me. When I come into my room she runs and hides. He moves her body when I try and touch her. She still eats but she wants nothing to do with me. I had no idea I was taking in a wild tegu. I feel so bad for her. What can I do?

Last edited:

ToadHallBetty

Hello, I’m new here. I’m an experienced reptile and insect owner. I’ve been waiting for a rescue adult tegu my whole life. I’m finally in a position where I can support one. I rescued a tegu from a hoarding situation out of state where they are an invasive species, the state busted the hoarding house and they were going to put them all down. I had to drive across state lines to get her from a fedex site. I picked the one that I did because they were all labeled by numbers except for her. They called her snuggles, they said they did that because she is special and a very friendly loving and affection seeking tegu. I immediately gravitated towards her. The day I received her in the mail my entire house flooded on the first floor and now they have to redo the entire downstairs bathroom right next to where her 8x4 enclosure was being set up. She is now free roaming my room (with access to water With calcium supplements in it, a uv light, a basking light, a soak tub, and plenty of cool down space and a ton of hiding areas I’ve set up for her) I’ve turned my whole small room into a Tegu paradise, It’s miserable to sleep in, I cool it down at night but even the 70s is too hot for me to comfortably sleep. I’ll do it for her tho. After day one I Contacted the rescue with a few questions they then informed me that she has been in the wild for two years was captured to avoid the hunting season in Florida and hoarded in a house and has only been in captivity for a month (this happened after I got her) The first two days she was amazing and snuggly and didn’t mind being touched doesn’t really like being picked up tho. It’s now day 3 and she hates me. When I come into my room she runs and hides. He moves her body when I try and touch her. She still eats but she wants nothing to do with me. I had no idea I was taking in a wild tegu. I feel so bad for her. What can I do?
Give her time to calm down, get comfortable and learn to trust you. I would also get her checked out by a vet. If she has been living wild, she probably has parasites. Be careful about being bit. My tegu, Little Buddy, will grab at anything (my hands,toes,pants leg... ) thinking it is something to eat. He also loves to play tug with a bath towel. Leave her alone for 3 or 4 weeks. She doesn't hate you, she is afraid of you. You'll get there.

Dinothelastdinosaur

Just keep touching and talking to her. Sit near and ignoring them often triggers their curiosity. Also many female tegus only ever become tolerant of handling. Just be patient and make yourself a fixture in their life. I have tegus and they all were captive bred babies and it took a good side months before the males would show signs of bonding, meanwhile most of the females merely tolerate my affection. Mostly if I don't have food then they just walk away from me. But good luck, if you give them enough love then they will respond sooner or later. Holding them on your shoulder seems a good way to interact while they still feel safe,as you are now furniture to them.

Dinothelastdinosaur

Give her time to calm down, get comfortable and learn to trust you. I would also get her checked out by a vet. If she has been living wild, she probably has parasites. Be careful about being bit. My tegu, Little Buddy, will grab at anything (my hands,toes,pants leg... ) thinking it is something to eat. He also loves to play tug with a bath towel. Leave her alone for 3 or 4 weeks. She doesn't hate you, she is afraid of you. You'll get there.
Also having such a large room may bring out her territorial instincts, and going to a vet is always good advice. Also be aware of tail breaks, I've experienced severel. Giving them larger hides helps with this. My tegus love having their eye ridges rubbed. Reaching from above and behind helps with biters. Good luck its worth it.

60lizards

Let the tegu Sleep with a tee shirt ,one you wore couple days do that first year .be really calm and quiet let it watch you .tongs food helps. Talk bit quietly they have a third eye top of the head it sees shadows avoid reaching over there head ,they think your a predators attacking ..mine was scared she was small ,took 3 months so I could handle her with out freaking out .she's 3 yrs old now likes put her head on my face XD looks crazy she happy.

aerodan

5 Year Member
Our female tegu is incredibly snuggly now. She hated us like a teenager for 5 years, and then just started getting more and more fun. Now I sit on the floor, she comes and crawls in my sweatshirt and hangs out for as long as I can give her. It took time and patience. Stuff like: we never went into her hide and bothered her while sleeping unless it was critical. Sat and waited for her to come to us... an old couch was magically helpful, she'd crawl under and hang near us safely. She doesn't love being picked up, but is gentle and puts up with it. Sleeping in my clothes? Totally. Begging at my feet? Yep. Stomping anything new I bring into her world? Totally. :) Good luck, hope it works out.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980