• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

My prego boa!

Sakara

5 Year Member
She just ovulated the other week!! FINALLY!! So babies should be around march... She was in with my hypo and also with a double het snow... so maybe we will get a surprise ;)

rubyfat.jpg

rubyfat2.jpg

rubyfat3.jpg

rubyfat4.jpg

Sakara

5 Year Member
Boas don't lay eggs... They have live birth ;)

she is about 7 to 7 1/2 feet... I haven't gotten a good measure on her in a few months O_O

cornking4

5 Year Member
haha yeah they're one of the few viviparious snakes, along with rattlesnakes and green anacondas. If you're lucky enough to witness the delivery take a video and post it!! :-D

Sakara

5 Year Member
I can only hope I'm there for the birth :D

and anacondas are boas ;) also... a LOT of vipers give live birth... Hopefully they only eggs I'll ever have to deal with will be the retics, lol

cornking4

5 Year Member
Lol, that would be awesome if you bred the retics! Are you planning on it when they reach sexual maturity?

Sakara

5 Year Member
yea... I have 2 half jampea het albinos and a mainland purple... so the jampea het albino male will have 2 girlfriends when they are ready ;)

from the jamp het x jamp het I will get dwarf lavenders, dwarf purples and dwarf 66% het albinos :D

from the jamp het x mainland purple I will get 25% dwarf purples, 25% dwarf lavenders and 25% dwarf het albinos :D

It will be fun ;)

cornking4

5 Year Member
WOW, those babies will be beautiful!! I still think lavender retics' colors can't be beaten by any other snake... It's by far my favorite paintjob on a reptile. Ivories look amazing too, have you worked with those?

Sakara

5 Year Member
Here are some crappy pics I just took :D lol...

rubyface.jpg

rubyfat.jpg

Cornking... You mean the black eyed leucistics? lol... I deff don't have $15k to buy a leucistic retic, LOL!!! I have played with the one that Bob Clark has though... It's gorgeous....

cornking4

5 Year Member
That's what I meant is if you had ever seen one in person. A 17'+ solid white snake is definitely one of the more impressive animals out there. The only adult retics I've seen in person were a lavender, super tiger, and amel, and I independently handled a normal, but i'd love to take a look at some of the other morphs up close.

Sakara

5 Year Member
oh yea... the lucy was amazing in person :D puuuuure white!!!

Well you are a little far away, but if you are ever in TX let me know and you can come play with my burm and retics :D

cornking4

5 Year Member
Hey thanks. That would be awesome!! I guess I could always be a snack for them if they get tired of my antics hahaha :-D

Sakara

5 Year Member
LOL!!! Nah... contrary to popular belief, large snakes aren't mean :p my retics are calm and very sweet... They understand that feeding tongs mean food and hands do not, LOL! The burm is a little food crazy, lol... but she's still very calm once she's out of her cage...

They are wonderful snakes :D

cornking4

5 Year Member
Yeah, big snakes are really misunderstood. At the Tucson Reptile Show (which was during a big media hype about a boy supposedly killed by a burm) Dr Driggers was giving a lecture about snake surgeries and posted a chart of annual US deaths from different causes... Large snakes were at the bottom of the list with 3 deaths in ten years from burms and 1 death in ten years from retics. Compare that to bee stings and dog attacks and big snakes are virtually harmless!!

Sakara

5 Year Member
exactly.... but of course by the media standpoint dogs will be dogs, etc, but watch out, those snakes will hunt you down and kill you!!! lol

cornking4

5 Year Member
It's sickening how the public seems to hold snakes in a light that makes them out to be heartless killers. And bills proposed to ban pythons are just stupid... If you want to ban a "dangerous" animal that invades habitats, ban cats. Snakes, especially larger snakes, are usually very nice and harmless to humans. And it's obvious that every time a kid gets bitten or strangled by a big snake it's because the snake was either underfed or the victim was smeared in rabbit blood. Otherwise, there's just no way a snake would see a baby as a meal.

I really look forward to owning a larger snake when I get my own place after vet school, I just need to make sure I can afford the food. How much do you spend on rabbits a week for all of your kids?

Sakara

5 Year Member
lol.... well.... I buy my rats from rodent pro... I spend about $175 on rats for most of the boas for about 3 months...

I buy rabbits from a local rabbit breeder for the burm and some of the larger boas... The young boas like pink and fuzz rabbits as well... my rabbits are 1.50/lb and pinks/fuzz 2 for $1 :) BUT... if you buy online you will pay a CRAP ton of money on rabbits.... I usually spend about $80-100 at a time on rabbits... Last time I bought rabbits was September... I still have......... I dunno... 7-8 rabbits left and I gave a few away, lol....

My '09 boas on a normal non winter schedule eat once a week... weaned rats right now...
'08 boas eat once every 10-14days... all on medium rats or fuzz rabbits
'07 boas eat every 14 days... large-XL rats or .25-.50lb rabbits
Ruby the big female eats every few weeks or so... 1-2 3xl rats or 1-2lbs of rabbit
The burm eats about 5lbs of rabbit every few weeks and she's 10' right now
the retic babies are on weaned rats and smalls... every week right now...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980