• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

My not so furry Kitten

kjphoto04

5 Year Member
His name is Goyle and he is a Sphynx. I got him 2 months ago. Im planning on showing him in march too.
DSC08449.jpg

Markie

5 Year Member
Omg. He's sooo sweet!!! I used to say that if I ever got another cat it would be a sphyx, but my boyfriend brought me a little black and white kitty that he found at his friend's house. So no sphynx for me.. but I wouldn't trade this guy for the world :)

So how is his temperament? I heard they made AWESOME pets.

kjphoto04

5 Year Member
He is awsome, very dog like. All he wants to do is cuddle or play. They are very people oriented. I have noticed that when I rub his back he will wag his tail like a dog! And its not the Im pissed tail flick that cats do, he seriously wags his tail!

Beasty

5 Year Member
Too cool! I'm not big on cats ("returnables" are OK) and I've never owned on for that reason but he sounds alright. Pricey critter I'd imagine. Can't say I ever saw one of those. Does it have a special diet?

Markie

5 Year Member
I've heard they can be "dog like" as you mentioned.. wasn't sure if that was true before now! Sounds like you got one awesome kitty cat.

kjphoto04

5 Year Member
He is not on any special diet just normal cat food. I never likes cats either mostly because of the fur thing.
They have to be bathed becasue the oils in their skin can build up in them.
They love to wear clothes too.
They are expensive but I had a connection. lol
l_b9ec10720e0a43f4aadbbe8f8dedbaaa.jpg
I cannot wait to show him at the cat show in March.

kjphoto04

5 Year Member
Try this site <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.breedlist.com/breeders/sph_rt.html#Texas" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.breedlist.com/breeders/sph_rt.html#Texas</a><!-- m --> not sure about how good the breeders are but its worth a look.

Beasty

5 Year Member
Wow!
I could NOT live with myself if I paid $1200 ea. for animals that were sterilized before I got them! I mean they're cool and all but I think I would not get one. They must be very inbred as well to get the no hair traits. That's about the only way one could retain said anomaly I would think. None the less, it would be neat to have a unique looking cat that thinks it's good lap dog. Have you seen any F3 or so cats retaining minimal fur but not hairless? That might be an interesting looking one as well.

kjphoto04

5 Year Member
The breeder I got him from is very good and is not imbreeding, she has bred them to domestic short hair cats to widen the geene pool. I did not pay anything for him. I would not own one if I had to pay for it. What do you mean by sterilized? The only breed that I can think of with minimal fur would be a cornish rex.

Beasty

5 Year Member
Well, in the link you provided I looked at several of them and they all say they spay/neuter the animals before you even have the opportunity to have one as a pet. Also, they outbreed to short haired to strengthen bloodlines but breed the babies back to A sphynx, maybe not THE parent but surely a relative retaining the hairless trait for about 3 to 5 generations to get a sphynx again. This is not at all uncommon in domesticated animals of any sort. That is how we have gotten ALL our dogs and cats. Believe it or not a great dane and a chihuahua are related somewhere down the line, over hundreds of years of selective and line breeding, else we'd all have Canis in our homes.(basically a wolf)
This is where all these genetic diseases come from such as hip displacia and genetic anomalies such as hairless are derived from.
I didn't write to flame, I was just stating I think it sux that the breeders won't sell you an "unrelated pair" to breed your own after spending hundreds of dollars.
It's cool you got one for free. I'd take on for free if it is cool as stated. Paying $1200 and not being able to breed it, NOT me. I love the animals I have but choose to keep ones I can breed in hopes that they;
1, have a fuller life - you wanna live in a box all your life and never ever get any?
2, They have another like themselves with which to interact
3, With proceeds from breeding projects they help to pay for themselves eventually.
4, enhance my life by having "domesticated" them
5, enhance my life by proceeds from breeding in turn enhancing their own lives
6, to help educate others on the keeping of said animals and plight of their inevitable extinction in the wild. (eg. Grand Cayman Blue Iguana)

kjphoto04

5 Year Member
I agree with you but I also think it is a REALLY good thing that dog and cat breeders spay and neuter thier animals before selling them, It reduces the numbers in animal shelters waiting on the list to be killed. You also see bloodlines and inbreeding in reptiles too.

Beasty

5 Year Member
kjphoto04 said:
You also see bloodlines and inbreeding in reptiles too.
Yep! You and I both have instances of that in our "collections". When it comes down to it, I suppose as long as siblings and 1st cousins aren't bred together and everyone is healthy I guess it's acceptable. I mean, what ya gonna do? We even as humans are supposedly ALL related as well so it's gotta all come out in the wash somewhere. As long as it's not down some backwoods road where family trees don't fork! ;)

kjphoto04

5 Year Member
LOL about us being related. As far as I know with animals other than humans and may be monkeys you will not see obviouse defects with inbreeding. It has to be done a bunch of times to notice it.

That backwoods stuff is one scary thought. The hills have eyes keeps popping into my head.

COWHER

5 Year Member
cool cat! And this is coming from a dog guy. I don't go for cats usually. One of my recent clients owns A1 Savannahs. He's a nice guy and those cats look like a load of fun!!

kjphoto04

5 Year Member
Thanks, yeah Im totaly a dog person until I met the breeder at work and I got to meet her cats and that is when I fell in love. Im still trying to get used to furred cats. The main reason I dont like them is because of the fur.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erectus