• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

My new friend Vader

zfro

I'm quite new to keeping reptiles in general this is my first tegu and his name is Vader. I have him in a 72 gal bowfront I was curious on how quickly they grow and the exact temperatures and humidity levels. And if anyone can let me know if there are any fruits or plants they enjoy that would be great.I have him in cypress mulch and a basking light with a night heat bit I don't know if it's enough. He also has a 10 gallon dig box inside the 72. Glad to have joined this forum it's always nice learning more about these lizards.
uploadfromtaptalk1404711778096.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1404711798407.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1404711829416.jpg

Aardbark

5 Year Member
Hello and welcome to the site. Vader is a good looking little guy. Tegus cn vary in size, but they can grow to be 4 feet long or more. They get pretty big and you will eventually need a bigger cage for him. Tegus like to eat lots of foods, ground chicken or turkey, fish, lots of fruits (almost any fruit, mango and kiwi among the favs) vegtibles, and of course whole prey like frozen mice (thawed obviously). You want to give your tegu a varied diet and feed him lots of different things. Hes a little baby now so you can also feed crickets, and lightly dust them with calcium. Also very important is you want to get him a heating bulb that puts out UVB. Its very important that tegus get UVB to be healthy. If they dont get it they will get very sick. You can find a UVB bulb at any pet store. Mist his cage every day, tegus also need a high humidity in their cage. The warm side of the cage (where the uvb bulb is) should be about 110 and the cool side in the low 80s.

These are all just things Im listing off the top of my head, but this site has lots of information on what tegus need.

Aardbark

5 Year Member
What raw meats? You can feed ground turkey, ground chicken, various fish, chicken gizzards/necks/hearts and stuff. Avoid beef and pork.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mightytegu