• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

My gu bit me !

Tarantu1aMan

5 Year Member
Not sure why he did it but I didn't hold him yesterday and when I was going to pick him up he wasnt really hissing but yet he kind of was, dnt really know how to explain it lol bit he started licking my finger and then he chomped Down! But today was feeding day so maybe he thought I had some food,I feed him in a bin but the food he doesn't eat I usually just put it on a saucer in his cage,is this a good ideas or not?

Jefroka

5 Year Member
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.varnyard-herps-inc.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.varnyard-herps-inc.com/</a><!-- m -->

Watch the handling videos. Feed your tegu in a seperate container/enclosure, this is highly advised as tegus can associate you with food, also read Bobby's care sheet.

Hope this helps.

...Jefroka

AWD247

5 Year Member
I noticed you said he kinda hissed but not really, Im fairly new to Tegu's but ive had large monitors for a long time, One thing I can say and ( guys correct me if im wrong) but at anytime your handling- 100% attention should be on the animals behavior, I say this cause maybe you want to pick it up and interact with the GU but maybe it doesnt , maybe that slight hissing was its way of saying.. "you know what not right now I dont wanna be bothered"
So keep in mind that might be a way your GU communicates when it wants to be left alone or is not ready to be handled.

Also making sure your hands were washed very well "before" handling is a good idea, to make sure it doesnt get confused with a scent that might have been lingering, even lightly sweaty hands = seasoned food. :lol:

...just a few things to keep in mind, good luck

argus333

5 Year Member
mine bite all the time i dont really care about it. my black and white will rip your knuckles up. but i love them for who they are.

MIKE-ZILLA

5 Year Member
mine did the same thing while i was cage feeding.He didn't hiss though.Iwas holding him and he just calmy licked my finger and bit down. I think it was because he was hungry and at the time i was feeding him in his cage.( i now use a feeding bin and its working great. Its also a great idea to wash your hands before handling(as previousl said) even the scent of other reptiles or even cats could trigger a food reaction bite.

mguy

5 Year Member
just keep handling him my blak and white has snapped at me when he was little but I hadled him everyday and now he is fine with it

Tux

5 Year Member
Every day is feeding day, sounds like he was hungry. Good advice in the thread about handling and washing hands though.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mightytegu