• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

My Enclosure Build pics

Mkulu

5 Year Member
We got our Blue tegu from Dave. His name is Wowz. We handle him everyday and he is real tame. I sit at my desk and lift the door to his enclosure and after seconds he will walk to the edge and wait for me to put my hand out and walk aboard. He also loves to lay in my 6 year olds doll bed while she reads him stories. We love Wowz!
Here are some pics of the build of the enclosure. I have since added some upgrades of more plants, a grape vine, and a ramp to the basking shelf.
cage1.jpg

cage2.jpg

cage3.jpg

cage5.jpg

cage4.jpg

cage6.jpg

Wowz is asleep now. I will have to post new pics of him later. He has grown since these pics.
cage7.jpg

Thought I would add pics of our other pets. This is IHOP. Our albino pacman.
DSCN29130001.jpg

This is Captain Jack and Lizzy, our red beardies.
Beardiesonshoulder.jpg

Lizzy loves to knuzzle up to my neck.
Lizzyneckknuzzle.jpg

Mkulu

5 Year Member
Thankyou.
I don't see much sense in hinges, locks, and the extra space needed to swing them open. If you look real close at the top view pic 4 you can see a slit cut in the top. The plexiglass window just slips thru the slit cut in the top and down channels running down the inside that keep them in place.

alewis0890

5 Year Member
very nice, didnt see that at first glance. thats how i was going to do the 4x4 but i couldnt find my tegus, nor reach them to get them out rofl, so i will stick with a 4x2 for now...

how much did it cost to build that?

BOOZER

5 Year Member
DIFFERENT never seen anyone use 1/4" must be light. how well does it hold heat and humidity? and i take it you just glued all pieces together. over time though you might see warping of the walls, is that 1/4" luan? --interesting build!! careful the plexi doesnt create a guillotine for the little guy.
peace

Mkulu

5 Year Member
Ya, I wanted REAL light and it is unbelievably light. Holds the heat and humidity just fine. I glued it all together and then used metal corner brackets to add extra support to the corners on the inside. Yep, its 1/4 luan.

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Nice cage!! Yes, post some new pics of him!

This was the "runt of the litter", only half the size of the other hatchlings. We held him back a long time to make sure he was growing and would be OK.

All my Tegu cages are covered in 1/4" plywood, with 2 x 2 framing (2 x 4 in the base). The plywood holds it square. We're not trying to contain a gorilla!

Mkulu

5 Year Member
Thanks alot everyone! Wowz (Peanut- Daves blue runt) is doing awesome! Eats great, has a fun personality, and the kids and wife love him. We are moving into our dream home in 3 weeks. It has a 30 feet long x 12 feet wide x 20 feet tall terrarium attached to the back of the house. We are going to fill it with plants and Wowz will spend most of his time in there. I will send pics as soon as I can of Wowz and the new place.

Mkulu

5 Year Member
The upgrade to his current enclosure is already done Loudog. I put in a ramp to his basking shelf, 5 more plants, and another grape vine. I also found a ball that he likes to play with. lol

ZEKE

5 Year Member
you just gave me a great idea or making a cage for my bearded dragon! i plan to make him a bigger cage some time this summer. (he is in a mesh cage that i think is 2'x2'x1.5' high)

Mkulu

5 Year Member
Funny you said that Zeke about my cage giving you ideas for your Beardies. I built this one to use for my beardies long term. Wowz is the runt so its hard to know how that will affect his size in the future. This enclosure is under 6 ft long. So if he grows over 3 ft I plan on moving my beardies into this one, and building him another. But he will spend most of his time in roaming anyway.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980