• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Mangrove Snakes

cornking4

5 Year Member
Has anybody kept these or know about them? I'm thinking of getting one as a transitional snake into hots, since they are rear-fang venomous. Do they keep well in captivity, and are their temperments good? What type of enclosure is needed for them (naturalistic, dry, damp, amphibious, etc.) and what is their diet? Can you free handle them, or is the bite bad enough that you need to use a snake stick?

Beazer

5 Year Member
I use to work with a pair of Boiga dendrophila ssp. They usually are LOADED with parasites and most treatments doctors give them, end up taking their lives. If you can get ones that were properly treated for parasites and feeding on rodents, or even better "captive born".
As far as keeping them, they are pretty neat looking snakes and fun to set up. Lots of branches that can withstand humidity, and a long cage. 6ft x 3ft x 2ft for 1-2 are good. Bigger is better for them, and a large water bowl/basin. Really use your imagination and make it look naturalistic with lots of branches, as thick if not thicker than their diameter. They do like it humid, but also keep it well ventilated (im from az, and theres ways to rig humidifiers from walgreens to do this). I would have to say check up on your allergies, especially see if you are allergic to bees. They are, as you know, venomous and pack a punch, so if you have any allergies, I'd stay away.
Tempermant, it depends. My male was aggressive as all hell. The female was somewhat calm unless you managed to piss her off, and it didnt take too much to do so.
Diet, well, usually frogs/amphibians. Mine never really took to fish. But like I said earler, go for ones eating rodents.
Also, you MUST keep them really well cleaned, especially their water so you dont have to deal with them re-parasitizng (is that a word?) themselves.
Heres the part where I might sound like a jerk, but I really mean it in a nice way. If you are wanting to keep hots, you shouldnt be asking about the hook because you will want to learn how to handle the animals with a hook. If you free handle hots, I would call you a moron, lol. Seriously though, almost all my friends who had frequently free handled hots, ended up being bitten, a few resulted in death... But yes, use a hook for them.
The biggest problem I have with discussing with people about hots, especially kids around your age, its explaining to them there is no "transitional" snake. It also all depends what you plan on keeping. A viper is going to be way different from Boiga, and even then, species within the genus of Boiga all have their own "attitudes". Also, mangroves wont have strike ranges comparible to a lot of your arboreal vipers. Best thing to do is to get a buddy who owns venomous animals and shadow him. See the precautions he takes with the animals and what not. Learn from him and observe him. Here in AZ we arent allowed the non native hots, but its still good practice to learn from a buddy who has rattlesnakes. It will give you some idea. If you want to learn how to handle "flighty" hots. I would suggest getting some pissed off species of Rat Snake (i think its either trinkets or radiateds that tend to have bad attitudes) and pretend its venomous for a few years and handle it like its venomous and learn precautions and how to make sure you never leave cages open and watch where you put your hand. I hope that was some help. Really nothing will prepare you for hots other than shadowing a person for a couple years who owns hots.

-Jon DeLong

HerpDLP

5 Year Member
well Beazer hit the nail on the head,
the one i rescued was a monster, it was nasty and it was not afraid to show you.
and on the hook issue, do not take this in a bad way cuz i know you are very smart and experienced with your corns and kings & you have my utmost respect, but i think if you do not use a hook already with all your snakes you are not yet ready for hots of any kind, but this is the way i was taught to handle & well not all people see it as i do, i rescue and relocate reptiles/inverts of all types here in my area and if i was not used to a hook i would be dead by now..
and that's the truth.

JohnMatthew

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
As for the bite, who knows what type of reaction you might have, level of toxicity doesn't really apply. Even a hognose could cause someone to go into anaphylactic shock if they had a bad reaction.

G

The Mangrove Snake is, in my opinion, one of the most stunning Snakes in the world, and, although they are a rear-fanged Snake, with the right precautions and a little common sense, they can be a very enjoyable captive.It is too good.They are very easy to care for, and look pretty cool. As far as availability they have been pretty difficult for me to come by, but the are not too expensive, usually between $75 and $100. Mangrove snakes are a decent first venomous snake to get but only after extensive experience with other aggressive non venomous snakes.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mightytegu