• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

looking for advice :)

luna

5 Year Member
I am getting my first tegu in August and I really want to build the best enclosure possible for him (I can't use a whole room though).
I am looking for suggestion on how to build the encolsure and what the best materials are. I was thinking that I could make the entire enclosure out of 1/2 inch plexiglass, but then I was thinking that this might not give the tegu enough privacy. Any thoughts?
If that doesn't work out then I will probably do the sides, back and bottom out of sealed plywood and the front and top out of plexiglass.
I would like to build the enclosure to be aroung 8'x4'x4' and have it on wheels so it is easy to move if needed.
Does everything sound okay so far? :-D

Another thing that I want to make sure I have done properly is the substrate. Would a thick layer of peat moss on the bottom and then some cypress mulch ontop work okay?

And one last thing... (sorry I am new to the tegu thing :p )
is a four foot uv lamp big enough for the cage size stated above or should I have one that covers the whole top of the cage? and are ceramic heat lamps better or worse than the bulb that produce light?

All your help is much appreciated ;)

Two Bananas Marinade

5 Year Member
<!-- w --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.tametegu.wordpress.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">www.tametegu.wordpress.com</a><!-- w -->

This is mine.

HandsomeJack

5 Year Member
Well not alot of people choose to use plexiglass, I would assume because of the cost.. it's expensive around here at least. Most people end up doing all plywood sides, top, and bottom with a plexiglass front.

As far as substrate goes, cypress mulch does a good job. the peat moss may just be a waste of money, the mulch will hold the recommended 70 to 80% humidity just fine.

UVB is quite a debated subject. Standard UVB striplights only emit usable rays about 15 inches from the bulb, so it would have to be that near the Tegu to be useful. Other options are a compact florescent UVB bulb, (It's reptisun 10.0 the one that fits in a standard light bulb socket) those have a wider range of UVB.
Then there's the Mercury Vapor Bulbs (a very popular choice) these offer heat, uva and uvb light all in one bulb, I believe the brand is called PowerSun and comes in 100watt and 160watt. These are more expensive, but worth the money for sure.

Keep the questions coming! I know all the info can be a little overwhelming, but it's worth all the work for one of these little guys!!

luna

5 Year Member
HandsomeJack said:
UVB is quite a debated subject. Standard UVB striplights only emit usable rays about 15 inches from the bulb, so it would have to be that near the Tegu to be useful. Other options are a compact florescent UVB bulb, (It's reptisun 10.0 the one that fits in a standard light bulb socket) those have a wider range of UVB.
Then there's the Mercury Vapor Bulbs (a very popular choice) these offer heat, uva and uvb light all in one bulb, I believe the brand is called PowerSun and comes in 100watt and 160watt. These are more expensive, but worth the money for sure.

I have a 4' florescent lamp that I will put the bulbs in. Is that okay? I also read that 5.0 UVB is good to use, but is 10.0 better? and the tegu would have to be 15 inches from the bulb to get the rays in this case?
and by compact florescent UVB bulb are oyu meaning the ones that look like normal light bulbs?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fanderson9214