• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Light schedule question

Vince

Hey guys! We got out AA from Bobby a week ago today. So far he seems to be adjusting okay. As many people experienced, he was in a bit of shell shock the first day after arriving and we were able to handle him a bit, but then got a bit shy.

We've been feeding him in his enclosure on a large slate tile so he won't get any substrate while chasing whatever he slings out.

Over the weekend after spraying down the substrate I just left the lid off while his lights came up. Doing that I was able to wait for him to come out when the basking light came up and spent some time with my hand next to him. He'd lick my fingers and let me touch his side. He only seemed skiddish a couple of times with my touching him.

During the week my fiance and I both work, so I was wondering if I should adjust his light schedule so that the lights in the tank come on shortly before we get home. Right now the lights come up at 10 AM and he comes out almost immediately. So by the time we get home he's been out for about 6 or 7 hours and the movement around the tank (he's in the living room until he moves into his big boy enclosure) seems a bit much for him at that point and he's like "screw it... I'm going to bed".

I was thinking moving the schedule might help him get used to us being around while we're watching TV and he can see and hear us. Plus maybe allow for mor time with our hands in the tank and such while he's actually above substrate. Any thoughts?

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Yes you can have the lights come on and turn off around your schedule. He will.more than likely adjust accordingly.

Rhetoric

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I had Gurus lights come on at 4-5PM and turn off around 3-4AM last year, it worked really well. I work most evenings and I felt like I never got to see him. It didn't take more than a day or two for him to adjust. Right now my tegus are on a 8/16 on/off schedule, I've been cutting it back a little because they're sleeping more and more.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mightytegu