• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Kinda Confused

Weston

I got Lyla, my female all-american, as a fresh hatchling over the summer from Varnyard. Shes been fantastic, and opened up to me nicely. As of late, however, shes really started slowing down, and spending 90% of her time under her log sleeping. If I put food in, she'll come out and eat, then go back to sleep. I figure she's starting to hibernate, which is fine, but I really don't know what I should do. She doesn't bury herself when she sleeps, she just hangs out under her U-cured half-log thing. What exactly am I supposed to do to ensure a 'proper' hibernation cycle? This is my first time ever dealing with an animal that hibernates, and I want to make sure she doesn't get sick and die or something while I just think shes hibernating. Should I still mist? How long will she be out? How will I know she's OK during her hibernation? I'm really nervous guys, and I appreciate the help!

Bubblz Calhoun

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
She's not hibernating yet slowing down and brumating may be but not hibernating. Take some time to read up on hibernation it's the first thread at the top of this discussion forum.

Johnnydr

I'm also wishy washy on the subject when it comes to my Gu. I first thought he was just getting tired of certain foods. he used to gobble turkey and eggs and now he will pick a few pieces and bask or hide......his feeding has definitely slowed, yet he will always eat a f/T rodent without hesitation. Being paranoid I'm not sure if he is slowing down/brumating or tiring of the healthier foods and getting spoiled on mice.

Weston

Alright guys, Lyla has been out since at least the writing of this thread, and since it doesn't smell like dead lizard yet, I'm assuming things are going ok. I was just curious, however, since she's housed in my room, if I could 'induce' an early spring? Temps in my room never get below 70, which scares me slightly as I'm afraid it's still too warm to ensure a proper hibernation. There is water in her cage and I mist occasionally, but the only light she gets is natural through my (often blinded) windows, and from the light bulb in my room. Now that shes been out for a couple weeks, if I were to turn her lights back on, would that cause her to wake back up? Or is there a higher chance of doing more harm than good? I'm still really nervous, considering my All-American wasn't cheap, and the last thing I want is my poor tegu to croak because I screwed up her hibernation. I would just feel much more comfortable, at least at this stage as such a new owner with such a young gu, with her awake and active. At least that way I can keep an eye on her and make sure shes getting everything she needs. Thanks guys, I really appreciate the help!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mightytegu