• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

keeping tegu indoors

Anthony

5 Year Member
when my tegu arrives i will be keeping him inside for at least 6 months then was going to try to keep em outside for the warmer months of the year... my question is what is the best substrate to use to keep the smell down from feces and urine... i have some cypress mulch it was really cheap but if theres anything better ill use that.... any tricks to keep the general area smell free? i know a lot of people keep there tegus in doors and dont have the whole house smell because of it so any tips or advice greatly appreciated

VARNYARD

Former Admin
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I don't really have a problem with smell, and cypress is the best, oh did I tell you tegus smell alot like roses? :)

Jer723

5 Year Member
VARNYARD said:
I don't really have a problem with smell, and cypress is the best, oh did I tell you tegus smell alot like roses? :)

you should be a comedian bobby, lol. my tegu smells like roses, and fish . . . lol! :mrgreen: :lol: :-D :) :p

MMRR - jif

5 Year Member
Cypress really is the best mulch to use indoors. It holds humidity well, has a nice natural odor, resists mold, and is cheap (at least here in Michigan). If you spot clean the big messes the odor will be minimal. I only do a complete substrate change in my large tegu enclosures 2-3 times a year. It's sorta like an aquarium...it will establish it's own natural ecosystem to break down waste and keep odors at bay. :)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erectus