• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

just out of curiousity?

reptastic

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
just wondering what size rodent do everyone feed in relative to your tegus size?
i feed:

nero med. rats and she is 38"(w/o the missing tail)

achilles xlarge mice and he is 31"(soon to start feeding him smaller rats)

pyro pinky rats or mice and he is 21"(soon to start trying adult mice)

i might start offering nero and achilles some quail and chicken chicks to see how they like em! tomorrow is rodent day and i plan to offer pyro his first adult mouse to see if he can take it!

TEGU_JAKE

5 Year Member
i feed one of my bw who is about 30inches long the biggest mice the place has but my giant is about the same size and eat small adults. i think it matters most on the size of their head.

DMBizeau

I plan on just feeding adult mice unless rat prices go down. I can get about 20 adult frozen mice for the price of an xxl rat and tegus never get big enough to where a mouse really wouldnt interest them. Just feed them multiple mice instead of a single bigger rat.

Just my opinion.

DMBizeau

True, but its not like mice are the only thing I will be feeding them. The difference can easily be made up by other meals through the week. Like I said, financially with 3 tegus and a black throat monitor right now I feed mice because they are cheaper, but they also get the full range of other meals like chicken breast, ground turkey, fish, scrambled eggs etc. Whole animals are just another way to supplement their nutrition, so do what you think is best.

reptastic

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I UNDERSTAND! i feed rats because i can get them for cheap, i have 3 tegus also plus 6 other reptiles so i know how it goes lol! i feed mines chicken, beef, turkey ect. so rodents arent the main part of their diet if it were id be one broke keeper lol! i think whats best is what you can afford! i know of a tegu keeper who as a 4.5' male tegu thats humongous and has never ate rats ony mice and he is bigger than any normal b/w i ever seen nd most giants! you have to what best for you and your tegu!

DMBizeau

oh I agree, I didnt mean to sound like I was lecturing you or anything. I used to breed boas but I got out once all this ban stuff started. I was spending over $100 a month on rats buying in bulk, so I know what you mean. The tegus are pretty simple and cheap, so is the blackthroat he just eats twice as much lol.

reptastic

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
OH NO,i didnt think tht at all! btw i would love to see pics of your bt monitor, i wanna get one so bad!

TanMan57

5 Year Member
Zero wont eat rats he only eats large adults, thats fine with me because I dont like touching big old rats but I will however have no problem sticking my hand in a box full of mice. As for Kilo she's eating pinky mice still, I want to wait till shes a little bigger before I put her up a size.

Cali 202

5 Year Member
Ive been feeding marley small adult mice. I agree with tegu_jake, I think it depends on the size of their head. Marley is about 3' but still has a fairly small head, so he gets small rodents. Hopefully i'll be able to try quail or chicks in a couple monthes.

DMBizeau

reptastic said:
OH NO,i didnt think tht at all! btw i would love to see pics of your bt monitor, i wanna get one so bad!

There should be pics of him in the monitor section of when he was smaller.

ah here it is.

<!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://www.tegutalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=6755" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">viewtopic.php?f=35&t=6755</a><!-- l -->

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mightytegu