• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Just looking for some advice

Chartier34

I recently got my first argentine b&w after a year of research .... he is 2 months old and just wondering some handling tips .... he eats while im right there and tong feeds he will let me pet his tail and halfway up his back in enclosure but dosent like to be picked up just yet. ... but once he gets taken out of his enclosure hes cool he will crawl all over me and let me pet under his chin and all that but still a little flighty and tips to try to help him get more comfortable? ?? And I had some people say its ok to just take him out even though hes trying to get away from me I know with monitors this is a no no is it diff with tegus because there very intelligent or is it still a no no thanks for asking :)

Chartier34

7f6a0140d4319abe9047ff235f81c4fa.jpg

Vayjining22

Good looking Gu!

I however am in the same boat as you, with the exception that I've yet to work up the courage to grab my red! Mainly I just don't want to make him despise me.

I'm sure what your doing is fine. From what I hear, they come around. And at least it tolerates you!

Hi very cute tegu :) . I would encourage to continue to work with him, pick him up. Once they know if they whip you with their tail or scare you away works they will do it every time to avoid being picked up. Take him out let him roam and they are curious in nature so he will as he has come up and crawl all over you. Take a piece of article of clothing of yours and put it in his hide. He will understand your smell to be not harmful in nature and know that when you come to pick him up you wont harm him. There is some ways they do like to be picked up verses dont as well. I noticed with my friends they need to be picked up from the back of the neck for them not to be freaked out. My guy personally is ok with which ever way I pick him up. Talk to him, let him hear your voice in a soothing way. They are extremely smart so he will catch on . If you are willing to put in the work it will turn around :)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erectus