• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Just a question about my enclosure for my Black and White Tegu

BobbyLau

Hello , so here's the thing . I am wondering about Is my Enclosure (80 cm L x 48 cm W x 50 cm H ) enough for my Tegu when he/she 's full grown .

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Hello , so here's the thing . I am wondering about Is my Enclosure (80 cm L x 48 cm W x 50 cm H ) enough for my Tegu when he/she 's full grown .
Eight foot long would be better. I encourage you to search the forum for really solid advice on size, design, and construction of a permanent home for an adult Argentine.

Magnus Boden

Way to small. That is only 2.6x1.5x1.6 foot. They say 8x4x4 is best. In sweden there are regulations that says you have to have 3 square meters of floor space for this type of lizard. Yours is 0.3 square meters so make it 10 times larger.

dpjm

5 Year Member
In sweden there are regulations that says you have to have 3 square meters of floor space for this type of lizard.

Wow, that's great to have such good regulations regarding pets. We have nothing like that in Canada. Certain animals are prohibited but the rules don't go much beyond that. There is an agency called SPCA that can investigate animal cruelty/neglect claims but I doubt that they have such specific cage requirements to follow, it would be more up to the discretion of the investigator.

And Bobby Lau, that enclosure will be far to small, your tegu won't last a year in there.

Magnus Boden

Wow, that's great to have such good regulations regarding pets. We have nothing like that in Canada. Certain animals are prohibited but the rules don't go much beyond that. There is an agency called SPCA that can investigate animal cruelty/neglect claims but I doubt that they have such specific cage requirements to follow, it would be more up to the discretion of the investigator.

And Bobby Lau, that enclosure will be far to small, your tegu won't last a year in there.

The government agency for this has some long regulations but for us mere mortals they have on their website a table that says a ground living lizard of size 101-125cm has to have an enclosure of 3m2, if you keep them in a group each lizard must have at least 1m2 each, if they are pregnant they are required to have 1.5m2 each and the height of the enclose has to be at least 0.9m.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erectus