• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Jungle Carpet x Irian Jaya (Updated with Pics!)

ashesc212

5 Year Member
I got another snake today at the expo! I finally got the jungle carpet that I always wanted.

I'm just curious though - I just read two caresheets on them. One said that snakes DO need UVB & UVA lighting and another said that they need a fluorescent light and a UVA light. So I wanna make sure that I'm taking care of Weaver and the new snake alright. I only have a ceramic heater above the king snake and also a UTH underneath. Is this okay or should I provide a UVB light?

UPDATE: Okay, here she is. She is about 4 ft. long and 261 grams. I don't know how old she is so if there are any carpet python experts out there please let me know what you think!

3321058605_ee1434eeb9.jpg

3321888408_3955c8aa11.jpg

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Re: Picked Up A Jungle Carpet x Irian Jaya Today

Snakes do not need UV light, most of them are nocturnal. A constant bright light over them could stress them. Ambient room light is fine for them to know day and night.

Red Earth Exotics

5 Year Member

DaveDragon said:
Snakes do not need UV light, most of them are nocturnal. A constant bright light over them could stress them. Ambient room light is fine for them to know day and night.

yeah, what he said!

ashesc212

5 Year Member

So the care sheets I'm reading are a bunch of bs then...haha.

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member

ashesc212 said:
Most are sheets are a regurge of each other. I haven't seen too many that recommend UVB for snakes though.

ashesc212

5 Year Member

DaveDragon said:
ashesc212 said:
Most are sheets are a regurge of each other. I haven't seen too many that recommend UVB for snakes though.

Yah - that makes sense.

I can't wait to post pictures but I want to get her comfy and relaxed first.

So far she doesn't bite though :app

PuffDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member

Cool and congrats! I was there all day from 9-3....where was everyone!? No one said hi to me!

ashesc212

5 Year Member

PuffDragon said:
Cool and congrats! I was there all day from 9-3....where was everyone!? No one said hi to me!

Were you wearing a TeguTalk shirt? I didn't really "notice" the people haha...I was too absorbed in trying to find a jungle carpet python or a sand boa. Sorry!

PuffDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member

Yep, I had my shirt on and an odor you could smell a mile away! :rofl

Schnab

5 Year Member
Very nice looking snake! I've actualy considered getting one of these in the past. They are truely awesome to own.

But I'm affraid that I disagree with it being an Irian Jaya. Here's a link to show you what I mean.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.acreptiles.com/pythons_carpet_irianjaya.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.acreptiles.com/pythons_carpet_irianjaya.htm</a><!-- m -->

Irian Jaya's tend to have more brown in their color mixtures. Yours is still a nice Jungle though. Nice bold black stripes, makes a beatiful contraste. :)

PS: the link has a section for care sheets. Good luck with her!

ashesc212

5 Year Member
Well, she's supposedly 50/50. I actually went in there searching for a purebred jungle and I just stumbled on this girl. Her sisters looked more like Irian Jayas, and she was the cheapest of the three. ...so I'm not sure.

Jungles are my favorite though; that's what I wanted.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erectus