• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

its arriving tommarow

Dirtydmc

Strange_Evil said:
We'll that was your snake and only two, so if your two we're aggressive does it mean all BP's are aggressive? That was your choice to risk that, i'm trying to help him keep his snakes on track, why give advise that may very we'll end up stressing his snake out? It's better to be safe then sorry. Doing things the right way.

where are they now and how old we're they when you got them?

Not aggresive at all actually. Bad advise? Not really. All animals are different. Everyone says to leave your tegus be for a few weeks to let the calm down. I didn't. Most new owners do that then complain that the tegu is freaked by them. Honestly, the handling is what gets them used to you. Some animals no matter what you do will not tolerate being handled. I've had reptiles for over 20 years. The only ones I've had that I have issues with are my tokays.
As far as stressing them goes. It doesn't matter when you start. It's gonna make them nervous. It's being handled that gets them used to it. Ever been around horses? I have. For awhile. If they just run the fields they stay wild. You have to break them to.ride them. Some are meaner than all hell. Some aren't. Not trying to flame you in any way. But I don't see it as bad advice. Some snakes will be nasty no matter what. Ramses, my red tail is super calm. But in his feeding box has managed to bite me almost everytime I take him out of it. But anywhere else he is fine.

dragonmetalhead

1,000+ Post Club
My ball python is pretty docile. He only bites when he's hungry and I'm pleased to say it's been quite a few years since last he sunk his teeth into anything but rodent. I've had Mr. S for almost 11 years now and he's a wonderful pet. I would let your python acclimate to its new home and try to establish a feeding routine before handling. The get used to human contact easily, although it does take work to get them used to having their head handled. Good luck!

Strange_Evil

5 Year Member
Wasn't implying your snakes we're aggressive, you clearly missed the point i was trying to make. Never said it was bad advise, just not the best advise for a first time snake owner. Tegu's and ball pythons are very different when it come's to handling and behavior. There are always different ways to go at these things, some people like to allow the tegu to make the first move while others go right in and pick them up. Not all reptiles do good with handling, for example, Savannah monitors, a majority of them stress out and die within the first week from constant handling and of course horrible care.

Like you said, "All animals are different", just because it worked for you doesn't mean it will in this case. It's better to play it safe. But by all means, if the OP wants to go at it this way then its his choice, if handling a snake that spends a majority of its life hid away and stresses out easily when young is your way, then go for it! Let me know how we'll the snake eats after constant handling the first week.

How old we're your ball pythons when you got them and where are they now?

roastedspleen

I have only handled him twice. If I touched him anymore than It wasn't cuz I was handling him. Most Lilly cuz I was moving him off the thermometer probes. He didnt th to eat any of the thawed pinks I gave him. He just backs up or flinches. Oh and his/her name is pokey.

Strange_Evil

5 Year Member
Pokey is a good name, but skip pinks, those are too small. Do hoppers or rat pups. My bp always moves the probe, they love pushing the substrate out of the way to get closer to the heat, i now just sit the t stat probe directly on the heating source and use a temp gun and place my thermometer probe in the hide.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erectus