• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

is this "twitching"?

ThrillHouse

Hello,

My tegu sometimes gets this twitch, and I thought I would check with you what it could mean and if my tegu has a problem.

The way I have understood this twitching you guys talk about is that i usually affects one or more limbs and is fairly frequent. but my tegu just gets one twitch at a time. And only very seldom. like once i night or so (off course I dont look at him every minute, so it could be more. but you get my point, its not often.)

also, I have uv-a, uv-b and I give him mineral powder with his food. I give him liver at least two times a week and fish liver oil once a week.

HorseCaak

5 Year Member
Well, could be nothing. Just to provide information about calcium supplementation though:
Calcium Powder without D3 (ZooMed Rept Calcium without D3 is THE BEST)
Make sure you replace your UVB lights every year or less and if possible, get the UVB tested to see if they are producing enough (my local vet has one of these tools to test. Or if you have $200 just laying around, you can buy one ;-)
I add Calcium powder on certain days alone from other vitamins so it better absorbed and other days I use ZooMed ReptiVitamin without D3 and then add ReptiCalcium on top (simply for flavoring cuz my Tegu loves it).

Certain calcium products are made with oyster shells and this inhibits absorption with your pet. D3 is also unnecessary with your basking Tegu. Also, get your Tegu outside in natural sunlight a few days a week, for it is the best source of vitamin D for your Tegu (vit D for calcium absorption :)

I add this info because recently I visited the vet for twitching in 1 arm (which I believed was due to an injury and it was. She had strained her shoulder). They took full body x-rays and showed this injury, but the vet also said her bones weren't as dense as she'd like them to be. So I switched by calcium to zoomed, replaced my lights with new ones, and now that it's sunny out now, I make sure to get her out on occasion.

Also, feeding whole mice is a good source of calcium too but they have to be hoppers or adults because these have developed bones with the calcium in them. Pinkies and furries don't have developed bones for calcium supplement...

Hope this poorly-put-together info helped. Just some stuff I've learned and picked up. Also, another thing I remember is about your Tegu's posture. If he/she is standing up tall on his/her legs, then this is a good sign that her bones are strong and not very weak... Oh, and also letting them run around in a safe room that is escape proof and free from small-swallowable objects is great for weight-bearing exercise to add stress and promote growth in the bones.

Cheers,
-BLAIR

ThrillHouse

thanks for the swift reply!

the brand im useing is "JBL MicroCalcium"
234_1029_7103300_1.jpg

I threw away the box, and the web-site isnt very helpful as to say whats in it. neither is the can. so i have no idea if it has d3, but i think i will mail them tomorrow.

but both my uva and uvb lamps are new, and my tegu stands tall on his front legs when hes checking stuff out, his jaws look good (as far as i can tell) hes growing at a quick rate and walks very good. so i think its allright.

still, i get nervous when he gets a twitch like that.

also, i have just begun feeding him mice a couple of times a week, but i heard something about them loosing nutrients and that they are very bad after just six months in the freezer. is that true? i gotta ask next time i buy, so they are fresh.

HorseCaak

5 Year Member
I have no idea about the mice losing nutrients. It shouldn't make a big impact. Also supplement the mice with calcium powder. I'd switch calcium powder to ZooMed just to be safe. You can find it for very cheap online. I paid $5.69 for 8oz, but seeing you are from Sweden, I'm not sure how much those numbers help you. :)
And who knows, maybe the brand you have is the top brand in your Country.

txrepgirl

5 Year Member
How old is the UVA/ UVB light and how far away is it from your Tegu ? The twitching is a signe of MBD. Could you post a video of it ?

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.anapsid.org/mbd.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.anapsid.org/mbd.html</a><!-- m -->

ThrillHouse

i found the problem. i have both my uv-a and uv-b bulbs too far away to work effectively. i had no idea they only had a "range" of 30 centimeters. i feel stupid. but ill hav to remedy this today.

a quick fix, as i am beginning to build pattes big home next week.

still, good thing i found this out now, before i started buildning.

HorseCaak

5 Year Member
ThrillHouse said:
i found the problem. i have both my uv-a and uv-b bulbs too far away to work effectively. i had no idea they only had a "range" of 30 centimeters. i feel stupid. but ill hav to remedy this today.

a quick fix, as i am beginning to build pattes big home next week.

still, good thing i found this out now, before i started buildning.
Also make sure you are using tube lights or something like a powersun and not coil bulbs. Those are inneffective. You only need the lights within 20inches (50cm).

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mightytegu