• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Is this crazy..?

nessanicolle

So.. My grandma used to have a bird and he had a pretty big cage.. Which is now in my possession. I have a young iguana, and now you probably understand where this is going. I know older iguanas do well with cages and i hate keeping mine in a glass tank because it isnt tall. would it be okay to keep my iguana in a tall bird cage till he gets bigger? The Humidity/branches/food/water/heat is already figured out. It would also be transportable for and outside cage so he can get some sun. Is this crazy or cruel?

dragonmetalhead

1,000+ Post Club
How big is the cage and how big is the iguana in question? The cage probably won't work as a permanent home but it may do in the short term?

nessanicolle

3 ft. tall and its pretty small, I wouldn't say a baby but.. I am getting him a bigger enclosure soon when i get the money but I figured it would be better than a narrow glass tank, I just like it because If i put him in there he would be able to climb.

nessanicolle

I'm not sure if they're attatched but here are a few pictures

Attachments

• iguana1.jpg
    iguana1.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 6
  • iguana2.jpg
    iguana2.jpg
    155.4 KB · Views: 8
  • iguana3.jpg
    iguana3.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 8
  • iguana4.jpg
    iguana4.jpg
    6.1 KB · Views: 6
  • iguana5.jpg
    iguana5.jpg
    8.5 KB · Views: 7

TegusRawsome80

5 Year Member
How do you have humidity and heat figured out for a cage with no solid sides? If you're sure it will work you could try it but I wouldn't advise it.

nessanicolle

well the iguana definitely cant fit through.. but as far as humidity I'm not 100% sure but i have a heat lamp inside which hes already been using to bask in.

That third picture really makes the bars look far apart but they're only 1/3 of an inch apart. the iguanas head is twice the size.

TegusRawsome80

5 Year Member
The humidity likely wouldn't work out to be honest. Reptiles need temperature gradients and the problem with a cage like that is all the heat is dispersed due to the lack of walls, so there is very little room for it to hang out in different temperatures because of the quick drop off in heat. They don't just need a basking spot, they need that heat source to spread heat throughout the cage, just more intensely at the basking spot.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pags1029