• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Is this a sperm plug?

Rhetoric

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I was really excited when I went to change the water today and I saw what might be a sperm plug.. But I swear I'm not a creep... lol.
I've been assuming my male is a male. If this is a sperm plug hes definitely a male! If its not a sperm plug does he need to go to the vet for this?
[attachment=2355]

As I've said before, I don't have any breeding intentions but does that also mean hes sexually mature? My little baby is still a little baby :(

Attachments

• plug.jpg
    plug.jpg
    748.2 KB · Views: 673

Rhetoric

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
yay exciting i now know the gender for sure!
but super gross at the same time

i guess hes a little man tegu now LOL

Rhetoric

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
They're in different enclosures, hes in his own and on top are the two girls. Very very gross, anyone know how often these pop up or is kind of a random thing? It's the only one I remember seeing.

laurarfl

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
My red plops them out just about every time he poos, but he's nice enough to eat them so I don't have to clean them, hahaha

Moofins

laurarfl said:
My red plops them out just about every time he poos, but he's nice enough to eat them so I don't have to clean them, hahaha

-Screws her face up in an almost unimaginable manner- O.<

Rhetoric

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I feel silly asking but can I still let my tegus hang out together? Supervised of course. I find its easier to let all of them out at once and hang out in a spare room, rather than take each one out for an hour or two at a time.
Also, my females are older than the male. He hatched June/July '10. The girls are '09. They're smaller than he is (they've got some slowed or stunted growth) can they be sexually mature as well? They're tiny little things.
Good news is, now that they're eating every day, I've noticed a little bit of growth!

I thought that post was funny but gross haha, out of site out of mind! It's nasty to clean up. YUCK!

laurarfl

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
hahahaha I love telling people that! We were leaving the house through the garage where the tegu cages are kept. Charlie (the male) was ...ahem... eating his snack, and my teenage girls were yelling, "Oh nice, Charlie" "Thanks, we needed that".

I can't keep mine together anymore, but they are older. My male is 4-5 yrs old and if the girls are nearby when they free roam, he just can't think of anything else. And now I have a female who attacks the others, so they all have to free roam seperately. It's a PIA.

Rhetoric

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Next time you think you might have seen one feel free to post a picture (gross haha) and these guys can let you know their thoughts on it as well

reptastic

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I am so not looking foward to sperm plugs lol, i had enough with 4 male iguanas, 2 male tegus, a collard lizard and a uromastx to last a life time, one of iguanas got in the habit of leaving the right on my bed lol, luckily the tegus left them outside

Rhetoric

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Yeah they're pretty gnarly lol. I've seen a couple so far but they're always in the water dish so its not too bad to clean up.

reptastic

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
And the bigger the male the bigger the plugs *shudders* at what larger monitor owners find lol

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mightytegu