• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Is this a normal rate of growth?

tommylee22

I took Biggin to the local Petco today lol. They all asked if I lost the first gu as this one in no way could be the same gu they saw a couple weeks ago. Biggin is one of those that just loves to eat till he looks like he's about to give birth before stopping. It could be his response to the whole ground animal meats I give him, I got a huge response out of him when I started feeding them. today he had whole bird ground Turkey and a fuzzy mouse for his meal, tomorrow he will get ground rabbit and maybe a fuzzy. I like to give him the mice on weekends and just the whole prey ground up meat assortment with Dubias thru the week. Every other week he gets some horn worms as a treat. Biggin isn't to big on fruit other than grapes, I tried the blue berries with no luck but I still try dif. things thru each week. I have it about to where he gets something dif. every day of the week.

apocalypse910 said:
God - I love that first pic. Looks like a chubby little T-Rex. Adorable.

Thanks!! thats my screen saver on my phone now, that was a pic I took the day he arrived. Seems like he's smiling lol.

tommylee22

bmx3000max said:
So when you order his food...is it a mix or you buy bags of rabbit.quail etc seperatly?

I got a pound of 5 dif. meats and a thing of quail eggs, they come in a nice container all eggs are ground up with shell. They are raw eggs so I spooned a little of the egg into the rabbit an turkey while I split out all 5lbs of the meat into small zip-lock bags. I didn't mix the meats up. I like to give him something a little dif. each day. Oh and for those interested, Biggin did not like the fish.

Biggins favorite is the Rabbit for sure FYI..

I really think these whole animal ground meats improved Biggins feeding.. He loves this stuff! This is why I think he's growing so fast, great foods lots of bone/organ nutrition all makes for a great source of food.

tommylee22

bmx3000max said:
So everything you order for him is from the ground section, as of now?
Yes next order I'll get my mice and quail whole along with the ground up meats. Now I just pick up the mice once a week at local shops.

apocalypse910

tommylee22 said:
bmx3000max said:
So when you order his food...is it a mix or you buy bags of rabbit.quail etc seperatly?

I got a pound of 5 dif. meats and a thing of quail eggs, they come in a nice container all eggs are ground up with shell. They are raw eggs so I spooned a little of the egg into the rabbit an turkey while I split out all 5lbs of the meat into small zip-lock bags. I didn't mix the meats up. I like to give him something a little dif. each day. Oh and for those interested, Biggin did not like the fish.

I really think these whole animal ground meats improved Biggins feeding.. He loves this stuff! This is why I think he's growing so fast, great foods lots of bone/organ nutrition all makes for a great source of food.

Were the quail eggs from hare-today too? I just put in an order but I didn't see those.

Also which fish did you get that he didn't like? I have the salmon in my order but wasn't sure if I should reconsider and get the rabbit instead.

tommylee22

apocalypse910 said:
tommylee22 said:
bmx3000max said:

Were the quail eggs from hare-today too? I just put in an order but I didn't see those.

Also which fish did you get that he didn't like? I have the salmon in my order but wasn't sure if I should reconsider and get the rabbit instead.

I would get the rabbit (Biggins fav.), I got the harrin fish he did not like it Next time I may try the salmon. The quail eggs did come from there as well.

apocalypse910

tommylee22 said:
I would get the rabbit (Biggins fav.), I got the harrin fish he did not like it Next time I may try the salmon. The quail eggs did come from there as well.

Cool - Thanks!

I just emailed them to ask if I could replace the ground beef I ordered with rabbit. I figure I'm not going to be giving him beef as a staple anyways and I can just give him some from the store from time to time as a treat (Finally found someone who likes ground beef as rare as I do :D)

Ended up ordering-
Whole baby quail
Rabbit, salmon, duck, and turkey (bone/ meat/ organs)

tommylee22

Sweet, yea My little guy likes the beef as well. Like you I'll just give him some from time to time as I cook with beef a lot.

tayrocksyoursocks56

Hey guys, had my new extreme giant betelgeuse for 5 days now. i cant get mine to eat much of anything. He will just sit in the bin and not touch it. hes afraid of crickets lol and the only thing he ate the other day were 3 super worms? i bought a food processor so i can make my own ground up food. i just cant get him to eat it... are you guys feeding them inside or outside of your enclosures?

larissalurid

tayrocksyoursocks56 said:
Hey guys, had my new extreme giant betelgeuse for 5 days now. i cant get mine to eat much of anything. He will just sit in the bin and not touch it. hes afraid of crickets lol and the only thing he ate the other day were 3 super worms? i bought a food processor so i can make my own ground up food. i just cant get him to eat it... are you guys feeding them inside or outside of your enclosures?

Definitely feed outside, they take a while to settle in and sometimes don't eat for a while. Many people leave theirs alone for a whole week and don't even try to feed them the first week, so he will start eating as soon as he calms down more.

tayrocksyoursocks56

Hey "larissalurid," thanks for your quick reply. ok so i understand the concept of waiting a week or more. i know there are like two ways to try and tame a tegu. the aggressive kind, which i dont feel ive done: taking them out of their hide, feeding them by hand, removing their hide or chasing them and picking them up. Then the ignore method: not acting interested in them and out of curiosity let them come to you and interact. ive sort of done a mix of both. i have never chased him or made any sudden movements but i have made attempts to handle him i went to handle him in the morning while his metabolism was slow and he was more lethargic and was successful in feeding him 3 supers and giving him a bath where he fell asleep on me. and its impossible for me to ignore him for the first week, since ive already gone in and picked him up twice on two seperate day (day before yesterday and yesterday) but i also have to change his waterbowl and stuff. i cant just leave his waterbowl sit for a week and not change it. so what should i do now? have i been doing things right? hes never bitten mr or whipped or anything, just when i get too close he scampers away in his hide.

larissalurid said:

Definitely feed outside, they take a while to settle in and sometimes don't eat for a while. Many people leave theirs alone for a whole week and don't even try to feed them the first week, so he will start eating as soon as he calms down more.

apocalypse910

tommylee22 said:

Wow - Good call on the rabbit. I've never seen him go that crazy for anything. Granted I'm still picking rabbit chunks out of my hair - but well worth it :D

I also gave him a day old quail yesterday - he scared the hell out of me eating it in one bite but he seems to be fine. Really paranoid about him chocking although it doesn't seem to be much of an issue with tegus.

Looking forward to seeing how he feels about the duck and the salmon - love that site.

Scott Hogge

Thanks for the info. I just bought a bunch ground animals for MacGyver. Will let u guys know what he likes / doesn't.

1 x Ground Llama/Bones/Organs/Tripe, 1 lb () = $5.99
1 x Bison Hearts, 2 lb () = $6.39
1 x Ground Quail/Bones/Organs, 1 lb () = $7.99
1 x Ground Pheasant/Bone/Organs, 1 lb () = $7.39
1 x Ground Rabbit, Whole Carcass- Fur and All, 1 lb () = $3.79
1 x Ground Salmon/Bone, 1 lb () = $6.65
1 x Ground Goose/Bones/Organs, 1 lb () = $5.95
1 x Ground Duck/Bone/Organs, 1 lb () = $3.59

tommylee22

I'm glad you liked the foods, The rabbit is a must if you do order from this site. I'm going to post some more pics of Biggin next week, this guy just keps getting bigger.

Compnerd7

I was astounded at how fast my Tegu grew as well, it didn't seem physically possible to me haha. I kept a growth chart for a while to prove it to some people.

3-2-12 ...... 13.5in
3-9-12 ...... 15.5in
3-16-12 .... 16.5in
3-23-12 .... 18.5in
3-30-12 .... 20in

4-6-12 ...... 21.5in

~~ That right there is 8in in just barly over a month ~~

4-13-12 .... 23.5in
4-22-12 .... 25in

~~ time goes on.. ~~

6-3-12 ..... 31in

tommylee22

Compnerd7 said:
I was astounded at how fast my Tegu grew as well, it didn't seem physically possible to me haha. I kept a growth chart for a while to prove it to some people.

3-2-12 ...... 13.5in
3-9-12 ...... 15.5in
3-16-12 .... 16.5in
3-23-12 .... 18.5in
3-30-12 .... 20in

4-6-12 ...... 21.5in

~~ That right there is 8in in just barly over a month ~~

4-13-12 .... 23.5in
4-22-12 .... 25in

~~ time goes on.. ~~

6-3-12 ..... 31in

Biggin has been with me for a month (7/9/12 to 8/10/12) and a day now and he's at 21" He's also shedding today as well. Still crazy how fast they grow.

tmc001 said:
tommylee22 said:
tmc001 said:
wow man....I can't believe it, your baby is a monster. My baby is from same clutch and only 14in now, he doesn't eat a lot everyday, always left foods there.

That's what I thought after seeing other pics of extremes from same clutch. People say it's normal thou so I guess they all just chose when they want to grow. He's just not the same lizard each day it seems he's bigger. I'll continue to document his growth every 10 days or so if he continues to grow at this rate.

How much meat you feed him everyday?

about as much as a large egg would hold if that helps not a lot.couple scoops with a table spoon maybe.

Logie_Bear

Hi Tay!

I am having the exact same issue with my baby right now. I've had her since this last Tuesday and so far she's not shown any interest in the ground meats. She did take to crickets when I fed them to her on tongs. If you have a break thru with your baby please let me know (likewise if I come across anything she goes crazy for)!

You can read all about my experience on her thread under the Extreme Giants discussion entitled "My Sweet Esmeralda"

jwyo

try feeding them in the enclosure until they settle down a bit. taking them out of their comfortable "zone" may cause them to get scared.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mightytegu