• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Is this a blue? Prepare to be amazed

Kingwolf26

5 Year Member
I showed the pics in the welcome forum, but this is my girl Selena. Named her after a bestfriend of mine, so I am somewhat living the dream here..... SSSSHHHHHH! So is this a blue, even though she isnt blue but has the teardrop and black nose?

Attachments

• selena13r.JPG
    515 bytes · Views: 20
  • selena15.JPG
    515 bytes · Views: 20

Bubblz Calhoun

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I still think she's a Blue,..but I could be wrong. She maybe too young to develop the blue color. But if she's a hybrid I would say a Black & Blue cross more than anything else.

But thats just my opinion.

chelvis

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I was going to say she looks like a Blue and Red Cross due to the red hues in on the back and the yellow under the jaw could be either a blue or a black trait. But u would not say shes a full blue

Toby_H

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Who did you get it from? What did they sell it to you as? Can you contact them and get more detail?

It makes a lot more sense to me to go to the source and get the facts as opposed to asking us to offer speculation...

mis jaksin

5 Year Member
i heard that arg. tegus get an orange/yellow coloring during the cold seasons.. not sure how true that is, but that could be where the coloring comes in... might have to wait till summer to see true colors if that is the case. she sure is pretty though! congrats.

Jer723

5 Year Member
i have also heard this, they seem to get an orange tint on their underbelly during hibernation, and it usually comes off in the first few sheds, out of hibernation, so it seems this tegu went into hibernation. and if it did go into hibernation it is definately not a blue because blues do not hibernate, they just slow down. i believe this is a very unique b+w cross, with a blue, because it still seems to heve the blue traits of a "burnt" nose, and the "teardrops". either way. Beautiful tegu!

Jerry

Kingwolf26

5 Year Member
Well I bought her from the reptile store here in Colorado and basically her previous owner went off to the army and sold her to the store and so she has been there for 2 months because when she was shown to customers, she had a bad temperament and had an agressive feeding response, running to the cage door ready to bite when the door was opened. I feed her tilapia, ground turkey, and brieftaste of ground beef day before, plus she loves her grapes. This might be the first time she ever had fruit.
She is shedding right now and she doesn't look like she is loosing any orange, but it doesnt bother me what color she turnes out to be. She was hungry yesterday and when I can in to the room she walked around alittle then walked up and onto my shoulder....it was so beautiful I wanted to cry. She lives in my room, uses the bathroom, but not humid enough so I wet a towel and put it under her heat lampor she goes swimming in the tub and she sleeps under my clothes. shes got the life. I have to hunt for beef liver.

Meg90

5 Year Member
She should not be loose in your room. Why doesn't she have an enclosure? You've had her for weeks now.

Kingwolf26

5 Year Member
She gets her uvb from the light everyday and when I get a chance I take her outside to get some sun. Why shouldn't she get free roam of my room? Its the reptile room, and I have to vacuum and clean it tomorow and finally get to making her littler box

Wil

5 Year Member
As long as she can thermoregulate and has options to basking and adequate temperatures, there is nothing wrong with keeping her in a room as long as it is tegu proof. Correct me if I am wrong but isn't a room that is kept between the high 70's or low 80's with basking areas just a large enclosure? One thing to remember is that keeping reptiles is not just about reading a caresheet and duplicating it, they are nothing more than loose guidelines to maintain a certain animal. The best tool to use isn't a caresheet, but rather observation, let the animal tell you what it needs.
I guess basically what I am trying to say is: If you can provide her with everything she needs without compromising her well being than keep her in your room, If you can't than you may have to build her an enclosure as a microclimate is easier to maintain.

Kingwolf26

5 Year Member
Well this is how the room or rather say the whole house is set at heat temp of about 70 or so but the room has a space heater that keeps the temp at 75 then in the corner of the room there is a daylight bulb that supposedly puts up UVA and heat that is a foot or less height from the floor and a UVB right beside it, a large water dish and a cloth I dampen that is right under the heat lamp. Her bed time when she tucks herself in is usually 10 pm but she gets up late in the morning. She isn't hibernating obviously. and shedding now at the tail, the body is complete. Plus after my bath she gets hers. At her dinner time I carry her down to the kitchen counter to eat.
I had a almost bad day on friday the 13 yesterday. bought a new blue tongue skink, female Irian jaya and she crawled into the dashboard then I got into a really bad delay and couldnt get back to her in time and when I finally got back to the jeep it was cold and snowing so I knew she was cold, so on my drive home I had the heat all the way up. When I got home and got to the dash to pull her out and she was almost frozen solid...... she was stiff man. I rushed upstairs while rubbing her and trying to get her warm as fast as possible. She showed some movement and gasped but she was stiff I ran her under warm water, put her under the tegu's heat lamp and more warm water again and she started to twitch and react to me touching behind her ear so I knew I was getting somewhere. Today she is doing well and her name is Lazaria! She even ate as soon as she came out of the freeze.
Thank God!

Kingwolf26

5 Year Member
She shed today and the orange on her back is fading a little, instead of the light spots on her back, they faded to a blue gray color, even brighter than in my update pics in my other post

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erectus