• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Is there hope?

G

Hello Everyone!

Well my favourite local reptile shop has an adult female black and white Argentine. I gather she was a rescue and they have had her for months now.

She is *not* a nice lizard but I'm wondering if there is hope for her? - I really like the shop and the people are nice but I do not always agree with how they treat their animals.

This girl is in a decent sized enclosure but it's right out front and I've seen a lot of people stop and tap on the glass in front (It's a vision cage) because they seem to find it amusing to watch her bash her head against the glass - mostly teenagers.

They also feed her in her enclosure and feed her live rats - I have witnessed such a feeding and it was pretty awful. They had to tap on one side of the glass with a gloved hand then use the other hand to quickly open the other end and toss the live rat in.

I am wondering if we got her, what my chances of taming her down would be? Keeping in mind that I do not have a lot of tegu experience. I have two red tegu's now - neither of them are fully grown and one of them is still very much a baby.

I just hate going in there and seeing her in that cage with people purposely trying to upset her - though the employees do yell at people when they notice it.

I've also seen her get a few awful bites from the live rats trying to get away - poor things. I quite like rats and I could never feed them live to anything, it's unnecessarily cruel to both the thing eating the rat and the rat!

Bea

eddyjack

Wow! What are they asking for her? Are they willing to let you take her on a trial basis (probably not unless you know them very well) it may be worth a shot. So if they will let her go cheap it may be worth it, either way, Patients with Persistance! I think there is always a chance. There is one in a shop here that I would love to have that is in much the same situation. I just can't justify another because I am so attached to the one I have and I still believe I rescued her. She and the dogs and I get along just fine.

CaseyUndead

5 Year Member
I saw Bobby say somewhere that wild caught tegus don't tame down well.. So it might be similar with an adult that isn't used to interacting with people.. Or maybe not quite, since she must have been around people at least a little bit for her whole life.. So it would probably be easier than taming a WC tegu..So, yeah, I don't really know. I doubt she would able to become as tame as a tegu that's been handled regularly since they were little.

Orion

5 Year Member
I got a Tegu over the summer that had not been socialized very well and did attempt to bite me at times. He did not like to be held at all. In the beginning we had a tough go at things but it gets better every day. He is calming down and I can hold him without the risk of getting bitten. He does not get huffy like he used to when I would let him roam free. My little girls even come up to him and pet him now when he is roaming, which you couldnt do 6 months ago without getting whipped. I am not saying hes a lap Tegu but we are getting along. I think if she is in a calm situation where she is not constantly provoked and you take your time you may be able to terms with each other. But really it sounds to me that anything would be better then the poor treatment she is receiving now.

Orion

5 Year Member
I got a Tegu over the summer that had not been socialized very well and did attempt to bite me at times. He did not like to be held at all. In the beginning we had a tough go at things but it gets better every day. He is calming down and I can hold him without the risk of getting bitten. He does not get huffy like he used to when I would let him roam free. My little girls even come up to him and pet him now when he is roaming, which you couldnt do 6 months ago without getting whipped. I am not saying hes a lap Tegu but we are getting along. I think if she is in a calm situation where she is not constantly provoked and you take your time you may be able to terms with each other. But really it sounds to me that anything would be better then the poor treatment she is receiving now.

Toby_H

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I have no experience with the challenge you are asking about, so I'll spare you any speculation I may have...

But I do have an adult Tegu that I raised from a hatchling. It's a 10+ pound, 50" baby doll. He has an extremely powerful tail, quite strong legs, is armed with huge claws, has teeth that can easily be seen when his mouth is open and quite strong jaws... I couldn't even imagine how rough it would be to house this animal if it were not hand tame.

While I can completely empathise with the feelings you may feel when witnessing this Tegu's poor situation at the store, I do not think buying a Tegu should be an emotionally driven purchase. This is an animal that has the potenital to be a part of your family for 15 years.

Tegus require a lot of space and daily care. Having to provide that much to an animal that seems to hate me would be miserable...

I suggest you buy a hatchling and offer it ideal care from the start. That's what I did and I couldn't be happier with my decision...

eddyjack

Well here is my "Speculation". I do have experience and it has been a wonderful experience for me! I gave a neglected, mistreated animal a chance (instead of a Hatchling) and she adapted and is crawling around my floor at my feet with my dog, even as I write this. I might add that if you have, (and I am certain the you have) looked at any of the pictures that I have posted lately, it is rather easy to see how compatible and happy she has become. So please do not be so quick to shoot someone down with "Speculation" that is considering the rescue of any animal.

Someone is now responsible for this animal and obviously neglecting it, and it is likely that someone else will become responsible for it at a later date. Should it not be someone that shows the sense of responsibility to at least ask a very intelligent question that is encouraged to consider all aspects? Or should it just be left to chance that it just go to someone undeserving and the animal end up in a worse environment?

Beanegative, I respect your query, and hold high respect for you in your effort to educate yourself before jumping in to such a commitment! Be diligent and if you do decide to provide a home for this creature, congratulations and just do your best. I feel at the very least you will offer much better environment for it then what it has had.

Toby_H

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I simply shared my opinion and the reasoning behind it.

I never suggested anyone's post here was speculation. I only stated that I was choosing not to speculate on the Tegus future potential.

My previous post quite clearly communicated my thought. No need to twist it...

We have differing opinions. One of the greatest things about a user forum is we get to hear differing opinions from people with first hand experience on a subject. I'm glad you shared your thoughts and your experience Eddy... To bad you couldn't extend me the same respect...

eddyjack

Toby quote's "I have no experience with the challenge you are asking about, so I'll spare you any speculation I may have..."

If you have no "speculation" then why give it? I did not single you out!!!

Toby_H

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Oh Eddy don't be silly... reread post #7 above... You reused the word speculation and even put it in quotes... you explained how your situation is a direct contrast to mine... now to get a good laugh, reread the last sentence of the first paragraph in post #7...

I understand it's hard to admit when your wrong...

To Bea and everyone else, I apologize for the tangent to an otherwise great thread.

Here we can see two complete opposite opinions both based on good reasoning... There is no 'right' or 'wrong' answer. No one can predict how the Tegu in question will turn out with proper care. It's quite possible it would turn out to be as tame as anyone else's Tegu. Yet it is also quite possible it has "gone too far" and will be a demon for life.

You may want to get more background information about the Tegu in question, though much pertinent information will unlikely be available.

You may also want to get more detailed information from anyone (such as Eddy) who has tamed a previously unfriendly Tegu. I'm sure how long the animal lived with poor treatment will make a difference, also how poor the treatment was will also make a difference. Though again, I have no idea where "the line" could be drawn as to what is too long or what is too poor of treatment...

Rescuing an animal is a respectable move to make... Although there could be more risk involved than it's worth...

Please do keep us informed as to what direction you are considering going and how it turns out.

again, my apologies for the bantering above...

eddyjack

Oh Toby, you willy nilly silly boy! I does not behoove me to re-read and I have nothing to apologize for so why don't you (re-read) and apologize once again if you must? Again, I did not single you out! Obviously it is simply not in your forte to just let be, so take one more shot and let yours be the last word if it will serve you, otherwise PM me and spare the others your B.S. rants over nothing!

G

Y'all need stop this pc crap.
To the original poster, any animal has a chance to get better, but it depends on you. You either choose to have a big project (and think of a back up plan of how to get rid of it if you must) and potentially a high reward ( happy tegu, and sense of mastery for yourself), or choose the easier path and get a hatchling. Just don't let the store sell you that tegu at full price, since you may be putting it in the freezer in a few months.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DoritoDan