• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Introducing a Male Tegu - What Considerations?

carcharios

5 Year Member
I am purchasing a male black and white who is approximately 3' - roughly the same size as my female. I would like to house them together in her outdoor enclosure, which is big enough for both. However, I only have one hide box now. Do I need to get a second or do tegus usually share hide boxes?

I will introduce them in a neutral environment before putting him in with her, as I've read this is the best way to handle introductions. Is there anything else I should look out for? Do males get overly aggressive and try to mate all the time? I know some species of lizards involved males that are very aggressive and can kill the female yet I've seen several pics here on the forum of tegus living peaceably together. Please fill me in on anything I may have not considered. Much appreciated.

Rudd

5 Year Member
I don't know about anyone else but I don't over think the introduction portion of tegus. I haven't ever had a problem with introduction, whether in her enclosure or his. I just put them together and let them sort out their differences, usually their is no sorting, just inspection, a little knudging then basking. I think the key is space. Make sure your female has ample room and places to get away from the male as he puts the pressure on her to breed. My only problems have been from males who are OVERLY aggressive during breeding.

I'm talking about two adults just to clarify.

Chance

I'm glad to hear it usually goes smoothly! It's gotta be better than my last nearly disastrous attempt at breeding milksnakes. Almost ended up with a fat female and no male.

VARNYARD

Former Admin
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
It does not always go smooth, they can have problems, especially this time of the year. It is not wise to introduce adults during breeding season, it is best to do this right before hibernation, that way they can hibernate together and wake together. With babies it is not such a big issue, but with adults, it can be.

I moved this thread to the breeding forums, I have my reasons, this forum is blocked from non-members. I heard through the grapevine that one proven crook is having trouble with his breeding this season, and I would rather not help him further his lost cause by giving the answers to him on an open forum.

Chance

Good idea Bobby! No sense helping someone swindle other people out of their money. Too much of that crap going around in this hobby as it is.

Thanks for the info. Coming from you, I'd say that's as good as gold.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
annettekirtont