• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Ink-My new B&W/Red tegu.

ReptileGuy

KABIKANO said:
Skeetzy said:
Just dug him up now. Left a plate of thawed turkey in there. He's sitting at the mouth of the cage scoping the scene out. I'll give him a bath if he doesn't go for food.

Why may I ask do you keep digging him out???

LOL I would like to know as well....From my understanding you should never take a tegu out of its hide unless absolutely necessary.

laurarfl said:
You know, I did feed him just a bit of ground turkey early in the morning that day. ;)

Me or skeetzy?

TeguBuzz

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Let your tegu come out on its own. Stop digging it out, all you're doing is causing more stress. You clearly didn't do enough research; one of the number one tips is never to dig out your tegu. Give it time and let it come out on its own. It stresses me to read all this "I dug him out... I dug him out again... Alright, dug him out again... Etc."

Leave him be and let him come out on his own. You are not making any progress by forcefully digging him out.

BatGirl1

1,000+ Post Club
Re: RE: Ink-My new B&W/Red tegu.

TeguBuzz said:
Let your tegu come out on its own. Stop digging it out, all you're doing is causing more stress. You clearly didn't do enough research; one of the number one tips is never to dig out your tegu. Give it time and let it come out on its own. It stresses me to read all this "I dug him out... I dug him out again... Alright, dug him out again... Etc."

Leave him be and let him come out on his own. You are not making any progress by forcefully digging him out.

Yes.never 'force '...never 'grab '...always let it be his/her choice.

Sent from my ZTE-Z990G using Tapatalk 2

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1348064935151.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1348064935151.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 11

ReptileGuy

TeguBuzz said:

Couldn't agree with you more....Steve hides for days at a time but that would never bring me to digging him out :/

Skeetzy

I have not once forced him to come out. I dig until I reach his burrow, then leave it be. He crawls out on his own. I don't grab him, or force interaction any further than uncovering his burrow. Last night he spent an hour venturing out of the cave slightly, with me sitting right next to the cage. I left my hand on the dirt for a half hour, which he kept working his way closer to, until my arm got numb from sitting there. He seems to be warming up, not stressing out more.

TeguBuzz

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Skeetzy said:
I have not once forced him to come out. I dig until I reach his burrow, then leave it be. He crawls out on his own. I don't grab him, or force interaction any further than uncovering his burrow. Last night he spent an hour venturing out of the cave slightly, with me sitting right next to the cage. I left my hand on the dirt for a half hour, which he kept working his way closer to, until my arm got numb from sitting there. He seems to be warming up, not stressing out more.

You shouldn't be uncovering anything. Do whatever you want, but I'll stick to what I said previously.

ReptileGuy

TeguBuzz said:
Skeetzy said:

You shouldn't be uncovering anything. Do whatever you want, but I'll stick to what I said previously.

Is it the same rule for monitor lizards as well? Cause I know a couple people who take their Savs and Niles out of its hide.

TeguBuzz

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
ReptileGuy said:
TeguBuzz said:
Skeetzy said:

Is it the same rule for monitor lizards as well? Cause I know a couple people who take their Savs and Niles out of its hide.

I think it applies to all of them. Their burrows or hides are the few places where they feel completely secure, digging them out or uncovering just ruins that sense, especially at a young age.

ReptileGuy

TeguBuzz said:
ReptileGuy said:
TeguBuzz said:
Skeetzy said:

I think it applies to all of them. Their burrows or hides are the few places where they feel completely secure, digging them out or uncovering just ruins that sense, especially at a young age.

Definitely agree with you there. Do you think its true that they start to loose trust with the owner as well?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980