• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

I'm not afraid, but...

Feyotter

Hello everybody. I'm sure this is normal, but since I'm new to tegus I wanted to get your opinion. I just got Pepper (because he's kind of feisty) about 2 weeks ago from TegusOnly and was told he's still in brumation so not to expect too much activity. Well he went into his cave and never comes out except when I check on him and then he goes right back under. Not unusual from what I understand, but each time I checked on him I also had some food there just in case and he ate a piece of liver the one time and about 10 super worms the other. I thought when in brumation they didn't eat at all so if he isn't in it, why is he always hiding? Also, when he ate the super worms he arched his back and hissed at me so I'm wondering what my next step should be to get him to actually like me. And finally, I'm getting his 8x4x4 enclosure on Sunday and I'm wondering how to transfer him from his 40 gallon breeder to his new home if he won't let me anywhere near him? A lot of questions I know, but I really don't want something that all I can ever do is look at. Any help, answers, or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Brumation varies among individuals. Some disappear for 3-4 months straight. No sign of them. Mine are like that and also from Tegusonly. Others come out from time to time, some more than others, bask a bit, maybe eat small meals occasionally. Still others seem inly slightly less active than usual. Aseasonal slowdown is important for their longterm health. Give them a coolish hide and access to a basking site. After about three months make sure that light is available 12 hrs/day, and don't sweat it.

As for moving, just pick him up and place him in his new home. Do this while he's sleeping. Lift from under and sides, NOT from above. You're his pal, not a hawk. Also, place a recently-worn shirt in his hide for familiarity.

viejo

5 Year Member
My ♂ Cholmondely has spent the last few months being mostly inactive. He spends a couple of hours under the heat lamps in the morning & spends the remainder of the day in his hides. Not much of an appetite at all. Recently he has been perking up a little. Is eating more & spending more time out in the open. He is nearly 2 years old & a tad over 4.5' in length.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
annettekirtont