• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Ideas on REWARDING for good actions...

Steven.

So i want to begin the taming process with kush. But i want to get some opinions and suggestions before i do anything. First i want to be able to get him to come to my hand. I've read some threads on "taming" and i thinking im going to put a shirt with my scent in his hide. Im also gonna lay in the bath tub and have him in there with me for awhile. This will hopefully get him use to my scent, thus being a little more calm with my hand close to him. But I can't seem too get an idea on how i will get him to want to walk in my hand. Food will probably be the best thing to give him. But how will i do it?... Should i use food to lure him out of his hide into my hand, then give him the cricket from the tongs.. maybe pick him up then give him the cricket.. Problem is i don't want him thinking everytime i pick him up, the a hopper waiting for him.. Also i was thinking of ways to get him to come when he's called but how can i reward him.. Should i put my hand underneath him and then say "come on kush" and give him a cricket?... Then put him down and repeat after couple of hours?..

I'm just brain storming here and looking for some input on some ideas that i have. All ideas and suggestion you have i would love to hear.. We can all use this thread as "brainstorming for teaching affection"... I plan on taking my time to build trust with kush, so i just want to make sure i've got some effective methods of taming and nothing that will cause anyone to get hurt as he grows up...THANK YOU...

JohnMatthew

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I would definitely steer clear of using food as a training tool, perseverance usually pays off in the end. The first hurdle you have to clear is getting your GU to understand that you are not a predator. Just normal, daily spot cleaning, misting, feeding, etc will help instill that you are not one to be feared. After that you will be able to take your GU out for some bonding time with relative ease. Tegus are curious creatures and after some time he'll recognize you as a portal to the outside world and more than likely readily crawl onto your hand when you open the enclosure.

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
you need to be patient. you aren't dealing with a dog here. you haven't even had him a week yet, let him get acclimated to his new home and everything else will come in time.

spark678

I was thinking the same thing. When I get mine I am going to let him adjust to his cage first then start tinkering with things in the enclosure to get him used to me then take the next steps. Try not to move too fast with him. goodluck!

dcman530

I agree, Another method that I learned was to let him out and wonder around and pass by him a few times each time he is out so he knows your not going to hurt him. Avoid picking him up as much while he is out and just walk by him so he knows your the boss and you are no harm. It worked well with mine and now he follows me around everywhere I go.. It really pays off in the end. Also I would avoid the bath tub, it really has no part in taming.. Good luck

Steven.

Thanks everyone. But i don't plan on starting anything until i see him really start eating.. then i know he comfortable.. I know that he's still new to his home and his handlers so i'm not going to rush anything...I just wanted to be ready when i do begin the taming process. I've read many threads where people bring their tegu in a small, safe area to explore, so they can understand that your no threat to them... Plus i've been told that i should reward him after every section i have with him, so he realizes that he did a good thing... reguardless of what is..?...

peaches

also wat i do is i take mine out and let her lay in my bed and go in my covers and everything she will sometime fall asleep but she really likes it when she on my bed

Jason

5 Year Member
when Ollie was a little hatchling i started off with a small 20gal tank so i could bring it down to the couch and rest my hand inside while watching tv. i wouldn't try to pet her or reach for her, just rest inside the tank. after a couple weeks she started coming up to my hand and licking it. eventually she started to climb onto my hand on her own.

It just takes alot of time and patience. the more patience you have the better the result :)

Aardbark

5 Year Member
Mine likes going under my covers too. Ive had her for almost 3 months, and she is still wary of me, but tolorant. It definitly would be cool if I could get her to come when I call her. Im sure tegus are smart enough.

Steven.

^Well i'm pretty sure we'll get good ideas here. So there will be a lot of different things you'll probably be able to test out...

Deac77

5 Year Member
there's a vid on youtube of a greenie that he's trained to come when he taps the floor and calls its pretty cool in the comments he kinda explains how he did it the little gu is reay and eager for attention when it gets there he's freakin awesome thats what im hoping for when i get mine lol he uses turkey balls as a treat when he comes said they eventually jsut come for the attention just search "tegu comes when called"

dragonmetalhead

1,000+ Post Club
I recommend getting a lizard leash ASAP. I leash Kodo whenever I take him out (unless it's just for a feeding) and it makes him way easier to control.

Sirhc401

An enclosed space will work . I am doing that right now with Odin actually. And he is doing very well. He is starting climb over us and lay on us. After only 25min. And he has started to climb on my arm if I keep it there and talk to him for 5 min. I don't about other tegus but Odin seems to be very voice responsive. Talking to him in a calm voice relaxes him just like any loud noise startled him. But he likes being talked to

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mightytegu