• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

i want a tegu

Diesel

i would do a lot of research. i have been looking up how to take care of them for over a year and i am barely looking on getting one...this time of year is hard to find one but this summer there will be dozens available :) i'm waiting on a breeders.

reptastic

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I agree tegus are not complicated animals but they arent an easy animal either, do plenty of research before diving in, you will be glad you did

Khoilie

check local pet stores or if your lucky enough, local reptile store. from there you can try Kijiji, or craigslist, this forum has a classified section as well.

as for how to care for a tegu... Use the search bar, I'm sure theres tons of threads here about the basics of Tegu care. Youtube is a good source as well. You can always fall back on google.com.

I'm feeling a little enthusiastic so I'll give you a very quick rundown that will help you decide whether its the right pet for you.
- space. you will need space for a very large enclosure. 6-8feet long, 3-4feet wide and 3-4feet tall.
- size. fully grown, your looking at about 5-6foot lizard, 10-20lbs
- danger. most are pretty calm but they do have sharp teeth and are very powerful for there size, you or a family member could lose a finger no problem
- upkeep. They require quite a bit of attention and handling to keep tame, you'll need daily interaction. As they get bigger they eat more and more. A fully grown adult can eat a couple rats per day. As they grow, so will there grocery bill
-they need a spot to bathe, like a kitty-litter box with water, water need to be changed every other day or so
-smell, if you keep on it the smell is minimal. If you dont, your house will smell horrible. there poop stinks unless its dealt with right away
-lighting. They need a spot to bask. that spot needs to be about 100F. they also need Ultraviolet light to metabolize vitamins properly. You can get an "all in one" light called Mercury Vapor bulb for about $50-$60. Reflector is about $20.

theres a quick little bit of info that should help u figure out if a tegu is right for you. good luck

Diesel

Welcome to tegu talk by the way. :) I'm sure by reading the threads daily you could learn a lot about the care and attitude of a tegu. Don't be afraid to ask questions and i am sure within a couple hours at most someone will give advice or help. If you do plan on getting a tegu soon, do as much research as you can and have a setup ready by the time you get him/her. I'm sure if you look on a tegu breeders website they will give you an excellent care sheet for a tegu. Better than any other just randomly found on google, although those could be helpful too. Just the breeders' care sheets are more in depth. Good luck on your search of a tegu i have been looking for a month and nothing yet.

ilovelizards

Khoilie said:
check local pet stores or if your lucky enough, local reptile store. from there you can try Kijiji, or craigslist, this forum has a classified section as well.

as for how to care for a tegu... Use the search bar, I'm sure theres tons of threads here about the basics of Tegu care. Youtube is a good source as well. You can always fall back on google.com.

I'm feeling a little enthusiastic so I'll give you a very quick rundown that will help you decide whether its the right pet for you.
- space. you will need space for a very large enclosure. 6-8feet long, 3-4feet wide and 3-4feet tall.
- size. fully grown, your looking at about 5-6foot lizard, 10-20lbs
- danger. most are pretty calm but they do have sharp teeth and are very powerful for there size, you or a family member could lose a finger no problem
- upkeep. They require quite a bit of attention and handling to keep tame, you'll need daily interaction. As they get bigger they eat more and more. A fully grown adult can eat a couple rats per day. As they grow, so will there grocery bill
-they need a spot to bathe, like a kitty-litter box with water, water need to be changed every other day or so
-smell, if you keep on it the smell is minimal. If you dont, your house will smell horrible. there poop stinks unless its dealt with right away
-lighting. They need a spot to bask. that spot needs to be about 100F. they also need Ultraviolet light to metabolize vitamins properly. You can get an "all in one" light called Mercury Vapor bulb for about $50-$60. Reflector is about $20.

theres a quick little bit of info that should help u figure out if a tegu is right for you. good luck

The only thing you forgot is the claws,they are very sharp&can easly cut your arms ect up&make you and others bleed easly.

is this your first reptile?

Khoilie

I've been scratched up pretty good by squirmy Tegus but never drawn blood. I guess it could be possible if your skin breaks and bleeds really easy

Non Crimen Jr.

My hands and wrist are pretty scratched up, People at school think I have emotional problems....Just kidding! Its a small price to pay for such a great animal.

got10

Don't laugh . I had gotten a phone call from my 16yr olds teacher asking about if my son has new friends and if he was talking about anything that was bothering him. SMh

ilovelizards

got10 said:
Don't laugh . I had gotten a phone call from my 16yr olds teacher asking about if my son has new friends and if he was talking about anything that was bothering him. SMh

what made her think something was wrong?

reptastic

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I'm sure it was the scratch marks that probably led them to believe he was a cutter, seriouslyb I have been asked if I was one before, I have had scratches that that looked looked like I was in a knife fight and lost, I try to keep my gus nail clipped as often as possible

ilovelizards

reptastic said:
I'm sure it was the scratch marks that probably led them to believe he was a cutter, seriouslyb I have been asked if I was one before, I have had scratches that that looked looked like I was in a knife fight and lost, I try to keep my gus nail clipped as often as possible

lol they would probly be calling my parents and have a ton of questions for me if i didnt wear long sleaves.That& I get cold easy so it works,the only teacher's that would probly belive me is my vet teacher(me&my gu attended pic with santa so she has meet him)&my biology teacher maby.my gu is scarded of the clippers so I gave up cutting awhile ago..

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
annettekirtont