• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

I really need some advice on my tegu that i've had for almost a year

jtmac1130

I have a red tegu that's probably just over a year old now and i've had her for almost a year. She is my first and it has not been a pleasant experience to say the least. She's not my first lizard so i knew the basics and i read for a full year about tegus before i actually got one. She still hates me, not in the aggressive sort of way, but in the way that you would expect from a wild caught animal. She runs away from my hand whenever i put it down and hides from me when i take her out. I take her out 4 times a week and just let her roam around my room for about an hour. She's unintentionally clicker trained so when she hears the tongs she comes running. Im just so frustrated and im not sure what to do. If i can't get her tamed down more than she is now in the next 6 months to a year then i might have to think about selling her because my patience is so low. i want more than anything for her to like me and if it took me spending hours with her everyday then i would do it. I continue to do the t-shirt in the cage thing, i put her food in her cage before she wakes up, i make sure she sees me clean her cage and refill her water, i give her regular baths, i ignore her when shes out, but she has made little progress since i first got her almost a year ago. People have told me its an age issue, and i agree with that 100%, but it also seems that she is just a naturally stubborn tegu. I would love any feedback or tips for taming her.

Rebecca Stout

I'm not in the same exact situation in severity, but I'm impatient, so I really do feel your despair. I'm in a similar, but milder situation. I've had mine for five months now (she is now 15 months old). And I put a LOT of daily work into each and every day. But yet, she's plateaued with training. However "tame" she got after two months is pretty much what she is now no matter what we do. We see little to no progress. I can't let her roam because she automatically tries to find a crack somewhere to explore and even settled into. And I can't get her out. So I've used a small bathroom. This last month or so, I got so tired of that, so I'm mostly just holding her. Or ... trying to. The thing is, she'll be awesome and even loving for like ... 5-10 minutes which is when I can take all my photos. People think sehs awesome because of the vids, but the rest of the time shes not good. Sometimes ..... I get so scared like you, that when she grows up, nothing will be diff. I got her cause I want her to walk around the house, go outside with me, and God willing, go out places with me. I want that soooooooooooo bad. Its my dream. I'm wondering how long to give her to see if she turns into a calm tegu. Some say 1 year. Shes past that age. Some say 2. So, I don't know what to think.

Listen, I've been writing a blog because my tegu experience is NOTHING like I planned ... or even wanted. Its the other side of what it can be like. The side no one talks about because its not fun to brag about and share. Know what I mean? I'd REALLY love for you to check it out okay. I BET we have had a little of the same experience. Since you wrote this, I'm going to film the "bad' behavior for the site as I mostly have her when she is good on there. Stupid me. It defeats the purpose of my blog which was to show an accurate picture of what it is like when you dont get a tegu that is already very chill or one with that attitude.

www.wolfystegu.weebly.com

chixwithtrix

Both of your experiences are similar to my own with my first Tegu, a 2 year old female I rescued. She wiggles, thrashes, death rolls, scrapes (yes I do look like a cutter on my forearms, they are going to scar that's for sure). Handling her can definitely try my patience and dim my spirits. She was my first Tegu, but I have experience with other reptiles.
I read some of your blog Rebecca, I must say I am impressed. Sort of the idea I wanted for my tegu blog...but I find I just don't have the time. Kudos for the effort, it is really entertaining.

I have had my female for about 4 months now and she has gone from jumping anytime I touched her and running away (blazing fast wow), to me being able to walk over and around her as she roams around and able to pick her up without thrashing about 30% of the time. She has even fallen asleep on my lap in a towel a few times. However, the norm is to thrash and roll until I let go, which I don't let go until she settles down. Gloves help a lot!

Best advice I can give is stay patient and keep trying. Your teg may never be cuddly, some just have standoffish personalities. Mine is no where near being tame and loveable, most of the time she wants nothing to do with me and just tolerates me being around. Better than running away at the sight of me so that's improvement. I’m happy with the fact she is at least is in a caring home.

Rebecca Stout

I see you own Oz from your website. I've long thought the video of him with the glove was awesome. You did do a blog I see!! A really good one too. I can't wait to sit and spend time with it.

So how different is Oz? If he is wildly diff, do you attribute that to you getting him while younger and/or its because he is a boy.

Thanks for the encouraging words. To know we are not alone or being a failure is really nice.

chixwithtrix

Lady does not like being handled similarly to how you guys describe your experiences. She wasn't really ever handled by her previous owner and was just allowed to roam around all day by herself. She is only 3 ft long at 2 years old. Being older I think does make her harder to train since she is pretty stuck in her ways.

Oz, on the other hand is almost 15lbs and 4 feet long at only 1 year, 2 months old. He is very sweet despite me being his 3rd owner and doesn't mind being handled, but he definitely has feeding issues. He has bitten me once because he thought I was food and I constantly have to watch so he doesn't try to nibble on fingers or toes. His hunger is insatiable...I think that is because he is still growing whereas Lady is pretty much fully grown and doesn't have near the appetite he does.

Hardly predictable what mood either of mine will be in day to day. But them being rescues from rocky homes...I can't expect much better. Oz likes to sleep all day in his hide, only comes out to bask a few times a day then returns slowly to his hide with no effort to escape. He hardly ever messes up in his cage. Lady is constantly trying to escape her cage if she isn't in her hide. She on the other hand has no problem pooping or peeing in her cage.

Here is a video I did illustrating my female trying to escape my grasp. Includes lots of wiggling and a death roll before she settled down.

Last edited:

Rebecca Stout

I never tried to do that. Huh! I was so scared of making her worse ya know? That shed hate me doing that so much, shed totally freak out and be worse the next time I pick her up. If she stops making progress, I will try this route. thanks for the video. Funny ... my girl is active in her cage much of the day, and much of her acitvity involves trying to get out of it.

Serpendipity

I've heard that females tend to be more aggressive. It makes sense that most of the famous tame ones you hear about are males.

Rebecca Stout

Well, I did it. Took the plunge. Decided to go this route. I must say I've had nothing but positive results. She plautued a bit, so I'm going to get more aggressive with it. I'm so relieved.

Rebecca Stout

Quite honestly? Force when you come down to it. I pick her up when I want. Put her down when I want. She'll do exactly like in this video. Thrash like heck and roll. Slash. Then after a bit she'll stop. Thats when I talk to her and pet her (she loves to be petted and loved). I don't put her down, unless she is being nice. I never ever buckle and put her down when she wants no matter how badly she carries on. What I did was start these little sessions a few times a day. Not just once. My son joined in too. He worked on being able to carry her around, and curling up on the couch together. I worked on things in general. One thing I know some people will hate to hear, is I also began digging her up. I did this because if I waited for her to be awake I'd nearly never see her (schedualing and so forth). So I'll dig her up sometimes. Sometimes not. Sometimes twice in a day. She huffs, but doestn do anything but a huff now. It's still a work in progress.

Josh

Administrator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I like it. The tough love method. As long as she's not getting hurt and you aren't either, it should work. Sometimes, with some animals, it's the only/best way to train. Definitely keep us updated on how it works out for you!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mightytegu