• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

I never knew this!

dpjm

5 Year Member
TeguTalk member Roadkill was a co-author of the original paper. It was published in Science Advances back in January. They found male tegus, during breeding season, were able to maintain a body temperature up to 12 degrees Celsius (53 F) above ambient temperature, though 3-5 degrees Celsius above ambient was more normal. It was the first time that endothermy has been demonstrated in squamates to that extent. He mentioned to me at the time on another forum that some type of iguanas could maintain 1 degree Celsius over ambient.

Here's a link to the original article:
http://advances.sciencemag.org/content/2/1/e1500951.full

Last edited:

Monica Markel

That is so cool.

I noticed, my gu was 81 degrees F while he slept on my sheets that were 75 degrees. I love those lazer heat guns!

Now if I can only figure out why he ate rocks...

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
That is so cool.

I noticed, my gu was 81 degrees F while he slept on my sheets that were 75 degrees. I love those lazer heat guns!

Now if I can only figure out why he ate rocks...
Thinking out loud... could the rock had residue fof food he likes? Possible that he was searching for some mineral that he detected in the rock??

Monica Markel

He was next to the sulcatas converted dog house which he has rolled in their poo before and slept in there. The two rocks he tried to eat were white and by the dog/tortoise house...both rocks smelled of tortoise poo.

I searched the net like crazy last night and around 2010 there were several incidents of gus eating rocks.

They thought a mineral deffieciency. These gus ate smaller rocked they had dug up...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
annettekirtont