• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

I can't keep saying "Hey lizard lizard"!

MamaJudy

I'm in desperate need of help in naming my lizard. Since I don't know its gender, I need a gender neutral name. I like unusual names for my pets, like Naga, Neela, Loki, Reemus, Romulous ( 2 snakes, 2 beardies, 1 cat). When it comes to my tegu, I completely draw a blank! Nothing at all comes to mind! Anyone willing to help me out here???
IMG_0732.JPG

JimB

I googled Argentinian Unisex names and came up a few suggestions:
Yerimen -The meaning of the name “Yerimen” is: “Agile”.
Yenien - The meaning of the name “Yenien” is: “To bring along”
Radhika - The meaning of the name “Radhika” is: “Successful, prosperous”.

You get the idea. ;) I named my Rhino "Titus" because not only did I love the name, but I was told HE had all the looks of a male when I got him as a baby. Turns out 2 years later that he's a SHE ... but I decided to she was keeping the name. LOL!

MamaJudy

I googled Argentinian Unisex names and came up a few suggestions:
Yerimen -The meaning of the name “Yerimen” is: “Agile”.
Yenien - The meaning of the name “Yenien” is: “To bring along”
Radhika - The meaning of the name “Radhika” is: “Successful, prosperous”.

You get the idea. ;) I named my Rhino "Titus" because not only did I love the name, but I was told HE had all the looks of a male when I got him as a baby. Turns out 2 years later that he's a SHE ... but I decided to she was keeping the name. LOL!

Thanks for throwing some ideas my way. Problem with those names is I wouldnt know how to begin to pronounce them! Lol!
Do you happen to know at what size I would be able to tell the gender of "lizard lizard " (haha)?? I know to check for "BB" on either size of cloaca, but not sure at what size I'd be able to get best results. TY!
Btw, I'll be sure to post name & more pics, as soon as I figure one out! Lol!

Roadkill

5 Year Member
If you know what you're looking for, you can sex them accurately the day they hatch. If you don't know...well, you're basically waiting until the animal reaches puberty and its secondary sexual characteristics kick in (hair growing in places where there wasn't hair before, deepening in timbre of the voice in males, breasts in females, or in tegus, the "BB" thickening up and becoming distinct to tactile detection and the development of the jowls). This is typically around the age of 2 to 3 years (with average growth rate).

As for the name, nothing wrong with "lizard lizard". There doesn't need to be a meaning, a sex, or anything specific about it. They're not going to be insulted for calling them something that we associate with the opposite sex, nor are they likely to be upset with something unusual - "broken door hinge" has no meaning to them. Any odd connection is solely in your head. I have a toad that someone named Abner, they liked the name from a movie they loved. Abner happens to be a female, I still call her Abner because that's just the name I associate with that toad.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980