• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

i bought a tegu today and need help

tegulover

5 Year Member
well i bought my tegu today and he is very healthy
hes basking spot its about 100-105 and a cool end of 75-80
but all he seems to do is burrow and when i dig him up hes cold and its worryin me
he on cypress mulch he has a large bowl a half hut and a plant
AND ALSO I HAVE MY LIGHT ON A THERMOSTAT AND THE LIGHT IS RED . BUT WHEN IT FLASHES WILL IT DISTURB HIM ?

jor71

5 Year Member
Ok.....

You need to provide him UVB and a red bulb will not provide it. Get a reptisun flourescent bulb or a MVB bulb.

What size enclosure do you have it in? Please provide height, width and depth.
How are you checking the temps?
Is the plant real? If so, what kind of plant (some are toxic)?
Do not use a thermostat with your lights. Use a timer and provide him with at least 12 hours of light.
Thermostats are good for heat sources like radiant panels and heat tape.
You need to keep the humidty at at around 70% (that has worked for me).

Again, get a light source that provides UVB and do not go for the cheap garbage bulbs. This is a case where you do get what you pay for...

If you can, give the Tegu back to the previous owner and prepare your enclosure properly before putting it, in it. If not, you need to purchase what I mentioned above and monitor the temps.

You just got it today, it needs to get acclimated to it's new surroundings.

Ok, I am sure I forgot a few, there will be others to fill in the blank. Gotta go and have my dinner now.

Good Luck!!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
It’s_me