• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

how tame?

Cali 202

5 Year Member
I know this question has been asked many times before, but how tame are blue tegus? Their looks and size are what has attracted me to them, but i have heard they do not get as tame as a b&w. I know that it takes a lot of time and patience and i'm totally ready for it, just would like to know if they generally tame out pretty well :?:

AWD247

5 Year Member
I think it would be a matter of like you said, time and patience, people say columbian tegus are hard but many members on here have them just as tame, does it take more time? I'm sure it does, but you basically get what you put into the animal, specially if you start young.
Research all the positive techniques members here use and make up a routine that works best for you, and I'm sure you'll have a tame blue in no time.

Cali 202

5 Year Member
Yeah that is what I have read. I will definatly keep reading on here so I can be prepared for when I get him. Thanks!

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
It all depends on the Tegu's personality (they're all different), his environment (affects his mood), feeding (a hungry Tegu can be aggressive) and how much you interact with him (positive interaction, not grab and hold).

There are a lot of regurgitated "facts" on the internet. You'll see the same care sheets on many different sites that are identical (regurgitated) assuming it is correct. Much of the info out there has been around for years with no updating. Like every Blue Tegu care sheet says they don't eat fruit! This comes from when they were first imported and classified as Columbian Tegu's because they were imported from Columbia (Columbian Tegu's are said to be strictly carnivores). Our Blues love fruit! Blueberries and strawberries are their favorites. I even had last years hatchlings eating small pieces of strawberries mixed in their turkey.

I've never read a post from a person with a Blue Tegu saying it was crazy or couldn't be tamed (see the above paragraph on the improper classification of the first Blue Tegu's). Our male is very mellow. The females are not as much but are fine to pick up, hold and handle. From what little history we know of them (before we got them) they weren't handled much. They have gotten better since we got them, from positive interaction. You have to learn to read their mood. They can get spooked or could just not want to be bothered, like any other animal, including humans.

Starting out with a hatchling can be a little challenging at times (all small critters can be flighty at times, they're at the bottom of the food chain) but they'll grow up with you and learn to trust you without any possible negative baggage from a previous owner. It's awesome to see them change, both mentally and physically, just like having a child.

Most of the Blue Tegu's people have on this site came from our pair. Read what they have to say about their experiences over the past 8 or 9 months since they got them. Peoples actual experience is the best way to learn about them.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980