• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

how does the diet plan i have sound?

preston897

well i will be getting my first tegu in a few weeks. i plan on getting one of last years left over b&w. i just want to make sure what i have figured out for food is good. let me know what you think

Monday- ground turkey w/ liver
Tuesday- whole food item (rodents, roaches, crickets)
Wednesday- ground turkey w/ liver and cod liver oil
Thursday- scrambled eggs and veggies (hopefully)
Friday- whole food item
Saturday- ground beef w/ cod liver oil
Sunday- this is the one day im not sure what to feed...suggestions?

how does this sound. any suggestions or comments would be greatly appreciated.

reptastic

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
sounds pretty good although you may have a lil trouble in the fruit department lol only 2 of my three will take fruit! and as for the fish you can also throw in some telapia my tegus go nuts for it!

mis jaksin

5 Year Member
my tegu loves grapes! also got him eating mango the other day... he'll eat blueberries once in a while... doesn't care for any other fruits really. i tried tricking him into eating grape tomatoes by putting a couple on his plate with his grapes... after eating a couple grapes he bit into a tomato, he spit it out and flung the rest of the grapes and tomatoes off his plate... he wasn't very happy that i tried tricking him...

cornking4

5 Year Member
Maintaining a 2:1 calcium to phosphorous ratio is crucial to supporting bone metabolism, lymph hormones, and preventing MBD. Ground turkey and beef are almost solid phosphorous, so you might want to consider replacing one of your ground turkey days with whole quail or chicks; they go crazy for them and they're high in calcium and biotin. Also keep in mind that whole prey has small amounts of phosphorous too, so more whole prey than ground meat should be fed to regulate the calcium levels.

You might also need to experiment a little, because as stated earlier, some tegus are picky eaters! :roll:

KSTAR

5 Year Member
Hey cornking where do you get your chicks and quails from and how do you feed them? My B&W is still small but I would like to get him on eating quail and chicks already but don't know where to get some and how I should feed them to him since he's to small to just gobble them up...i'll say hes about 18 inches...do you order them offline somewhere?

cornking4

5 Year Member
I get mine from a local reptile specialty store, but rodentpro.com sells them at decent prices. Cutting them up works well; they love to swallow the bones whole!

preston897

i know that i need higher phosphorus than calcium. i will be mixing calcium powder in with all of that. and as far as the tilapia goes do you just buy the frozen bags of it? or do you actually get it fresh? and is the fish fed raw? i was planning on mixing some of the fruits and veggies in with the eggs as well as cooking the eggshell with it. with all of that. how does it sound?

isdrake

5 Year Member
I'm still not convinced that meat and liver is better than whole pray. So far I still think whole pray is the better choice. So my suggestion would be:

*Add more insects, Adult B/WTegus eat about 13% invertebrate in the wild.
*Add more fruit/veggies. They actually eat a lot more of this than animalistic food in the wild. You can add this to every meal. And make it a bigger portion than the animalistic part.
*Don't feed eggs once a week. Feed it only once it a while.
*As already mention there is other whole pray options you can feed like freshwater fish, other small reptiles, snails and so on.
*You don't have to feed them animalistic food everyday. Maybe you can just offer fruit on sundays? :p

preston897

ok so i will get rid of the eggs and make that another whole food day. and if my tegu its fruits i will add them every day in with his food. and sundays i think i could do fruit and maybe a little tilapia?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
It’s_me