• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

How do I tell if my black&white Argentine Tegu is a male or female?

zombie420

I bought ZaeZae off of craigslist for $45 like 2 years ago. ZaeZae is kind of aggressive because it has not been handled as much as it should be. But anyways can someone help me out on what sex it is and what is the best way to get it calmer?

Attachments

• IMG_20120229_164359.jpg
    IMG_20120229_164359.jpg
    742 KB · Views: 1,193
  • IMG_20111028_165358.jpg
    IMG_20111028_165358.jpg
    544 KB · Views: 1,066
  • 20120622_223508.jpg
    20120622_223508.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 1,029
  • 2012-05-02_16-56-07_275.jpg
    2012-05-02_16-56-07_275.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 995

got10

Looks to be a female to me too. To get her calm feed her only in a bin or outside her cage. Handle her when you can for about 10-15 minutes at a time. You can do this apporx four to five times a week. Good luck and keep us posted as to the progress

zombie420

got10 said:
Looks to be a female to me too. To get her calm feed her only in a bin or outside her cage. Handle her when you can for about 10-15 minutes at a time. You can do this apporx four to five times a week. Good luck and keep us posted as to the progress

I will try to keep posting. So its a girl what does that mean like as far as size and aggressiveness?

Bubblz Calhoun

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
At 2yrs old you should be able to tell if it's male or female. Take some time to read "Important Threads" at the top of some of the forum sections as well as "Tegu Articles" and the "Taming Tegus" section.

larissalurid

She looks female to me as well. Females get around 3 feet with males being around 4.5. The gender doesn't change how aggressive the lizard will be in general, but spending MUCH time (at least an hour a day) with her will help calm her a lot. They are very intelligent and need a lot of attention to calm down or you'll still have an aggressive, scared tegu. I'm not sure how aggressive she is but I'd recommend bringing her into the bathroom and let her walk around on you while you sit in the tub, or if she's too scared just sit in the bathroom and let her walk around and explore and dont try to touch her and dont move fast or be loud. let her get used to you and come near you herself and just let her be so she can see you arent a threat. talking quietly/calmy to her will help and if she is calm enough to be touched a little i'd try that but if not and she is very scared i wouldnt rush her into being forced to be pet just yet or itll make her more scared.

bonedoc

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong. But to me that tegu looks like a columbian black and white. I had a pair of argentine tegus, a black and white and a red, and by 2 years of age they were much heftier than that one. Columbian tegus are sleaker in build and generally...from what I've seen do not have the temperment of an Argentine.

TeguBuzz

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
bonedoc said:
Somebody correct me if I'm wrong. But to me that tegu looks like a columbian black and white. I had a pair of argentine tegus, a black and white and a red, and by 2 years of age they were much heftier than that one. Columbian tegus are sleaker in build and generally...from what I've seen do not have the temperment of an Argentine.

That's definitely an Argentine, just has some growing to do.

got10

bonedoc said:

Be corrected . That lizard looks nothing like a columbian. It is an Argentine through and through

TegusRawsome80

5 Year Member
Columbian tegus look nothing like that. I wish people would google image Columbian Tegu and Argentine Black and White Tegu before confusing the two. They look absolutely nothing alike.

bonedoc

TegusRawsome80 said:
Columbian tegus look nothing like that. I wish people would google image Columbian Tegu and Argentine Black and White Tegu before confusing the two. They look absolutely nothing alike.

I did google images of a columbian before making that comment. Which is why I asked the question. Never claimed to be an expert, just stated what I saw. I seen many instances where I live where people have purchased what they thought was an argentine and it turned out to be a columbian.

reptastic

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
In all fairness tegurawsome its not always that simple...i have found myself having to do a double take lol

tommylee22

Looks like a columbian to me as well, where is the black stripe down his side, seems very spotty and a hint of yellow belly. With that said the head thou looks very A. B&W.

Grendel

It's not a Colombian, there are clearly two loreal scales between the eye and the tip of the nose. the black stripe on the side is not how one tells the two apart. I have an Argentine B&W that has no stripe, just white dots on black background like this one.

zombie420

Well guys my tegu is growing like crazy she has doubled in size since I posted those pics.
I can tell she is going to be a big beautiful beast.

I <3 my tegu!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pags1029