• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Housing in pairs

Johnners

5 Year Member
I was considering buying another tegu to house with my existing one. I have a male around 1 year old and was considering getting a female.

He is housed in a room approx. 8ft x 8ft, 4ft x 1ft tiled basking spot, 4ft bath, three hides and an open floor space of around 5ft x 4ft.

I understand a lot would depend on his acceptance of another into his enclosure but I was keen to hear others experiences.

Many thanks.

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I was considering buying another tegu to house with my existing one. I have a male around 1 year old and was considering getting a female.

He is housed in a room approx. 8ft x 8ft, 4ft x 1ft tiled basking spot, 4ft bath, three hides and an open floor space of around 5ft x 4ft.

I understand a lot would depend on his acceptance of another into his enclosure but I was keen to hear others experiences.

Many thanks.
They vary. Mixed-sex pairs generally work.

Cody096

Be prepared to take out the male or female and moving them into a separate enclosure if they do end up breeding in the future, or cordoning off part of the enclosure.

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Be prepared to take out the male or female and moving them into a separate enclosure if they do end up breeding in the future, or cordoning off part of the enclosure.
Absolutely. She will want to protect her nest from EVERYTHING and EVERYBODY.

Cody096

Yeah, I'm trying to think of ways of how I could best seperate my female from her eggs if she does breed next year. I may just try to lure her into a pet carrier with food so it doesn't stress her out too badly.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
annettekirtont