• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Hibernation

Otis

I walked in my room and I see my tegu head sticking out with his eyes closed. The first thing that popped in my head was he was dead so I tried to wake him up and it took him awhile to wake up but he eventually did. He stayed up for about 6 minutes and went back to sleep. Is this apart of hibernation or should I be worried?

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    504.4 KB · Views: 10

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
If he has access to his hot spot and is choosing sleep, sounds like brumation- reptile name for hibernation- to me.

Otis

ok and my room is freezing cold should I leave his heat lamp on just in case he gets cold in the tank?

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Listen. Your lizard must have access to temps of 115-120 f. Then a gradient to mid to upper 70s f. That is what a tegu must have, otherwise give hm to someone who can provide that for him/her.You get a pet, you should do some homework first.

Otis

hahaha your really funny no need to disrespect me it was just a question that you could've answered

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
No disrespect or being funny. Happy to help, but basic care can be found on care sheets.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mightytegu