• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Hibernation Question

ArizonaTegu

Hello All,
I am sorry for asking this if it has been posted before, but could not find much when doing a search. I am still researching at this time. I had planned on getting an Argentine red as they are more docile than a Columbian, but read lastnight that Argentines hibernate up to 7 months or so while a Columbian does not hibernate. Is this correct? If this is the case, I would rather have a Columbian so as I can enjoy my lizard on a daily basis.

I am very excited to get my first Tegu and want to learn everything I can so I can care for him/her correctly. Would you all advise me to get a Columbian now? Thanks for your time and advice for me.

laurarfl

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I would make a list of all the pros and cons, then choose what suits your lifestyle best. Learn all you can first, then get the lizard.

ArizonaTegu

I would make a list of all the pros and cons, then choose what suits your lifestyle best. Learn all you can first, then get the lizard.

Yes. I am learning all I can first before getting the lizard. Part of that is coming here to ask questions and get advice. Thanks.

laurarfl

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I would also add Colombians burrow more and are not up to bask as long. And the Argentines do not always hibernate each year. ;) When mine go down, it can be Oct to March, or just Dec to Feb.

Odonata

I had not realized how obvious this is, but think it is worth mentioning for people considering a new Tegu.

The individual personality of the animal can vary immensely. The generalizations are just that.

My black and white loves to burrow, I thought it related to the humidity so spent time ensuring that the air humidity was ideal and that he wasn't going under to regulate his humidity (since the deep substrate provides more constant higher levels). However he just likes to dig and burrow a lot. He has a burrow that is warm under a slab where he basks, and another that is cool under a slab that supports his water container. He uses both daily, does come out to bask and eat, but mostly stays in his burrows. He will come out usually ten minutes or so after I enter the room to see what I am doing, and is usually happy to come out of his enclosure.

Others have found their tegus to dislike contact and seem aggressive regardless of how much time is spent with them, etc. Since the commitment to the animal should be made prior to obtaining it, I think it is great to do as much research as possible. I believe it is a serious commitment in terms of time and money.

dragonmetalhead

1,000+ Post Club
I have a Colombian who is quite tame and friendly. They're high-strung lizards to be sure, but Kodo has never displayed any aggressive behavior and is a wonderful pet. If you are willing to put in the time, effort, and money, they are very rewarding animals to keep.

herpgirl2510

I have never owned a Colombian so I cannot comment other than I have heard argentines tend to be calmer and easier to tame. My first two tegus never hibernated. My new tegu i was told never even slowed down this year. If you keep your temps up sometimes this helps with them not going into a complete hibernation hey may just slow down for a few weeks. However if they do choose to go down you can't prevent it.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hweikel