• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Hibernation Question about Archie

CaterpillarGiraffe

5 Year Member
Hey everyone. So some of you may know, my red tegu, Archie never really looked alert to begin with, just because of the MBD he has. His eyes are always weird looking, his limbs stick straight out and he lays on his stomach and he doesn't move much.

My question is :

He's super active in the summer because he has his outdoor enclosure. I live in Canada, so it gets chilly after September and he obviously cannot go out anymore. I've never had my Tegus hibernate before, they always come out for food all months of the year.
Lately, my red tegu when I bring him out from under the mulch, his eyes will not open. (I don't usually dig them up, but his eyes were concerning me). He keeps them partially closed at all times, they seem a little rolled down and red. I'm wondering if this is just him in his dormency stage, or if he's digging TOO much and dust is somehow getting into his eyes, causing an eye infection?
Everything else seems typical of hibernation; He looks half dead, he won't walk much and he attempts to eat some fuzzies sometimes.

Any info is much appreciated :)

Meg90

5 Year Member
I'd try to put him under. i know Bobby's reds go down pretty early. And Archie is a decently sized guy, he has fat reserves, I think you'd be able to hib him without worrying too much.

Maybe post a pic of his eyes--I'm curious to what that looks like.

But I would say shorten his photo-period and start pulling some heat sources so his body starts to go dormant til spring.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
It’s_me