• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Hibernation Over? Almost Over? When to offer food?

HorseCaak

5 Year Member
I have not found any information on this yet in this forum. Would like some advice from those with experience.

My Tegu has come out a few times recently (Haven't been home much in the day to see exactly how often).

She is not yet a year old. She is still small and has been hibernating since September I believe. When should I offer her food? She has crawled around a little and sipped on water. Thanks ahead for the help guys!

-BLAIR

:-D (Hey Bobby, if you read this, maybe you could put a more detailed Hibernation post in your care sheets. I've noticed lots and lots of questions on Hibernation and not enough answers.)

TanMan57

5 Year Member
Well i dont have a tegu hibernating but I do know when my tegu gets hungry he tears his cage completely apart. I am assuming when they are up for longer and basking im assuming they are done sleeping. Hope this helped.

rrcoolj

5 Year Member
I agree. If you see her up and basking offer her food. Remember she hasn't eatin in how many months? If she will eat, feed her.

HorseCaak

5 Year Member
I offered her food today. She was up quite a long time (5+ hours at least). I offered her beef liver with cod liver oil (which she hasn't eaten before but has been offered). So far she's stubborn with what she eats so I figure nows a good time to offer her other foods. If she's really hungry, she will eat what is presented to her (instead of her favorite Pinkies)... Also, she is too small still to "tear up" her cage. She didn't grow much before hibernation. She isn't even close to 2 ft yet. I'm expecting a growth spurt when she starts eating...

-BLAIR

reptastic

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
trust me a small tegu will tear up their cage lol i knew since day one with nero when he was hungry, he would dig all around his tank pushing around anything he could move with his snout and he was 5wks old. you will know when she is hungry. just keep offering food til she eats(outside the enclosure of course) worked well well with achilles after hibernation!

txrepgirl

5 Year Member
Since she just started to come out again it might take a while for her to eat. When they hibernate the metabolisum shutts down. By her basking the metabolisum will get back to normal. You can try to offer her some food in case she is hungry but don't be surprised if it takes a few days. What you can do is put some chicken or turkey baby food with vitamine and calcium powder on a small plate and let her lick it up.Or you can put some food ( like the liver, hearts, chicken breast, fruits .... ) in a blender and make it like baby food. This way she will get some proteins in her. You also can give her some light colored ( I think the dark colored one has to much acid in it ) gatoraid or bedialight ( you can find this in the baby section ). It's better than just water because it has minerals ( electrolyts ) in it. This helps for the body to absorb the fluids better.

TanMan57

5 Year Member
HorseCaak said:
I offered her food today. She was up quite a long time (5+ hours at least). I offered her beef liver with cod liver oil (which she hasn't eaten before but has been offered). So far she's stubborn with what she eats so I figure nows a good time to offer her other foods. If she's really hungry, she will eat what is presented to her (instead of her favorite Pinkies)... Also, she is too small still to "tear up" her cage. She didn't grow much before hibernation. She isn't even close to 2 ft yet. I'm expecting a growth spurt when she starts eating...

-BLAIR
I wouldnt say shes too small lol my last tegu Xander would destroy his cage but Zero when I had him in his last cage he would crawl up to the front and claw at the mesh making the worst sound to ever wake up to. They are very smart lizards and will definately let you know. If they start pacing or digging and not burrow usually means they are looking for food.

HorseCaak

5 Year Member
txrepgirl said:
Since she just started to come out again it might take a while for her to eat. When they hibernate the metabolisum shutts down. By her basking the metabolisum will get back to normal. You can try to offer her some food in case she is hungry but don't be surprised if it takes a few days. What you can do is put some chicken or turkey baby food with vitamine and calcium powder on a small plate and let her lick it up.Or you can put some food ( like the liver, hearts, chicken breast, fruits .... ) in a blender and make it like baby food. This way she will get some proteins in her. You also can give her some light colored ( I think the dark colored one has to much acid in it ) gatoraid or bedialight ( you can find this in the baby section ). It's better than just water because it has minerals ( electrolyts ) in it. This helps for the body to absorb the fluids better.

Great info txrepgirl! All makes sense to me. Thanks for the help. :-D

-BLAIR

HorseCaak

5 Year Member
TanMan57 said:
HorseCaak said:

-BLAIR
I wouldnt say shes too small lol my last tegu Xander would destroy his cage but Zero when I had him in his last cage he would crawl up to the front and claw at the mesh making the worst sound to ever wake up to. They are very smart lizards and will definately let you know. If they start pacing or digging and not burrow usually means they are looking for food.

Oh I believe they are smart lizards. Mine still hasn't gotten to the point where she needs to misbehave (if you will) to get food. She hasn't begged for it at all even before hibernation. She hasn't hit her growth spurt. Most the other Tegus from last season grew immensely compared to her. I'll let you know if she starts to beg and cry like a little child for her candy. :-D

-BLAIR

TanMan57

5 Year Member
HorseCaak said:
Oh I believe they are smart lizards. Mine still hasn't gotten to the point where she needs to misbehave (if you will) to get food. She hasn't begged for it at all even before hibernation. She hasn't hit her growth spurt. Most the other Tegus from last season grew immensely compared to her. I'll let you know if she starts to beg and cry like a little child for her candy. :-D

-BLAIR

Well my tegu is my alarm clock he will start to tear up his cage before I wake up and when I do I run out and start defrosting what he going to eat lol.

HorseCaak

5 Year Member
TanMan57 said:
Well my tegu is my alarm clock he will start to tear up his cage before I wake up and when I do I run out and start defrosting what he going to eat lol.

That's hilarious. Do you think you could record a video next morning of your Tegu tearin it up? I wanna see the behavior of other people's Tegus.

-BLAIR

TanMan57

5 Year Member
HorseCaak said:
TanMan57 said:

That's hilarious. Do you think you could record a video next morning of your Tegu tearin it up? I wanna see the behavior of other people's Tegus.

-BLAIR
Yea ill video tape his bad behavior lol.

rrcoolj

5 Year Member
HorseCaak said:
txrepgirl said:

Great info txrepgirl! All makes sense to me. Thanks for the help. :-D

-BLAIR

I thaught my tegu was the only one who would do that. He would dig these huge pits along the edge of his cage. I would wake up to dirt being hurled agains t the glass. He would also jump up on his mesh top cage. Thes guys have a ton of personality. They are like little kids :lol:

Pikey

5 Year Member
they aren't being "bad" they are looking for food or atleast a way out to go get food... but yeah my little one is usaly up in the early AM but if he is not then i got to the store or post office & he gets up & i'm not there he'll dig everything up

HorseCaak

5 Year Member
Hey everyone! Here is a video of DoubleDip when she first came out from hibernation! Enjoy. Go to the link on my youtube page and read the info on the sidebar to read the details about the video and her... Thanks for watching...

If you have a YouTube account, comment and rate the video so I know you guys have seen it. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Jlq9DU9nnQ

-BLAIR

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erectus