• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Hibernation, or Maybe Not

rmzsuzuki89

My tegu Apophis has slowed down a lot. Because of this I figured he/she was getting ready to hibernate. I noticed that he has been coming out about a half hour after the lights come on, and basking for about an hour. Then it's into a hide and I never see him again for the rest of the day. I have tried offering turkey or roaches when I see that hes out and has been out for a little while. But he will usually flick his tongue a little, then try getting out of the feeding bin. This has been going on for a while now.

Should I drop the temps and lighting drastically, or gradually little by little, or just leave it on the timer? I figured it was a little early for starting hibernating. His system should be clear since it has been a while since he's eaten, and he last pooped a couple days ago. What would be the best way to handle this?

tora

It's about that time that hibernating is starting. You do not want to cut down drastically since he is still coming out, but cut down some till he doesn't come out anymore. Then they can be turned off. Just make sure you turn them back on if you see him out.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mightytegu