• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Hibernation bin?

TanMan57

5 Year Member
Ok so ive heard of people putting their tegu's in a hibernation bin. They put hay and leaves in it. What type of leaves? also do i have to change the hay during hibernation? also do I mist of no? plus ive been lowering his light time hes now at 11hours a day. But He's only out on average about 1-2 hours basking and then he goes back to sleep. Also what size bin should i use? I'm going to use a bin because ill be finishing his enclosure during his hibernation. Thanks

TEGU_JAKE

5 Year Member
mine are not hibernating but if they would i would put them in a big enough bin to have some extra space and would fill it with cypress mulch or bark and mist it once a week or so and

TanMan57

5 Year Member
TEGU_JAKE said:
mine are not hibernating but if they would i would put them in a big enough bin to have some extra space and would fill it with cypress mulch or bark and mist it once a week or so and
Can I fill the bin with hay and bark? Because they dont have cyprus mulch around here.

TEGU_JAKE

5 Year Member
ya i would because i cant find cypress either but if i did i would use that lol

i use hay in my outdoor cages

TanMan57

5 Year Member
TEGU_JAKE said:
ya i would because i cant find cypress either but if i did i would use that lol

i use hay in my outdoor cages
Does it get moldy? Will i have to change it?

carcharios

5 Year Member
I keep my tegus outside in the spring and summer and when the weather gets cold enough to the point that they stop coming out of their outside hide, I move them into rubbermaid tubs with cyprus mulch and put them in the garage. Now the garage temps hold steady at around 60 - 65 degrees and so far, it doesn't seem to bother them. When I check on my two big Gus, their eyes are usually open - I'm not sure if I'm waking them up when I lift up the top of the bin or if they're already up.

Tattz

Bump...I just transfered my hibernating Extreme Giant from his enclosure to a tub with 6 in. of EcoEarth and a bark hide. I am misting him once a week pretty good. And I have a heat panel...lol...zip tied to the inside of the lid of the tub set to 75-80. Is all of this going to be cool for my Gu, this is the first time I have had one hibernate. Please give any and all constructive criticism.

Toby_H

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Hibernating temperatures are usually in the 60~65*F range. Keeping them at 75~80*F will keep their metabolism too high to truly hibernate.

Tattz

Thank you Toby...I have heard both sides of light while hibernating. What is the best for the Tegu, as of right now I took the light away as it is a little bit of a pain to provide with a rubbermaid bin. But if it is the best for the Tegu to have a few hours of UVB just in case he comes above substrate, I can figure a way to give him UVB.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mightytegu