• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Help Identify

PuffDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
So I went to Punta Cana, Dominican Republic this past June and ran into this guy at my resort. He put quite scare into alot of the people! It was so funny. He was just hanging out on the pathways until I scooted him onto the coconuts to grab this pic. Anyone know what kind of tarantula it is? He was as big as my entire hand if not bigger.
pict0002cc9.jpg

G

I would say it's a goli but it's rear is kinda small. Looks like a really big span length though.

Mike

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
That looks to be a phormictopus cancerides, or Hatian brown Birdeater. I have kept them before. One of my favorite species.

PuffDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I think you might be right Mike. After a little googling I think it would have to be a male judging on his smaller abdomen. Good looking out! He was the biggest and only Tarantula I've seen in the wild.

Mike

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I would guess male as well. I've seen plenty of T's in the wild, but never a birdeater. P. Cancerides has an appetite that won't quit, and often a temper to boot. Of course, they are hair flickers. Sounds fun, huh? :lol:

Mike

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Oh, yes. Clouds of it. The worst part is that sometimes they stick around. I tell you, the hairs ITCH like hell and then sting for a while too. Not something you want to get hit by.

Itching powder used be made with T hairs. Very unpleasant.

BrokenBrushes

5 Year Member
Correct

I believe Mike is right! It looks to be a male adult P. Cancerides. I have 3 females and one male, and my male is identical. The small abdomen is a dead give away. To bad we can't see the hooks to know for sure. Very beautiful speciman. These are very common in the pet trade. They breed very easily, so there is no reason to ever remove one of these wonderful creatures from thier natural enviroment. Great picture!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980