• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

has anyones reds slowed down?

Anthony

5 Year Member
mine hardly eats and hes out a lot less.... the thing is hes only 15 inches i got him from bobby i dnt know if hes too small or not/?

Meg90

5 Year Member
What is your light cycle? You can prevent hibernation with good temps, and long enough light hours. The do feel the change a bit, and will eat alittle less, but they do not hibernate.

My girl is up every morning at 9.

Anthony

5 Year Member
i was doing 12 hrs a day and they slowed down anyway... i since then cut it to 10 hrs or so.... i use the powersun 100 watt and another small light in a 75 gallon tank

Meg90

5 Year Member
See, that's the thing right there. You responded to their behavior. They started thinking it was time for hibernation, and you started shortening the hours.

Cleo gets 12hrs whether she's up for all of them or not.

When they are awake, do you interact with them? If every me I pass her cage, I reach in and pet her, or just stop to talk to her, Cleo is apt to stay up a little longer. If I leave her alone all day, she goes to bed early.

Zilch

5 Year Member
My red from Bobby is still eating, but not very much, he only comes out for maybe an hour a day to grab food, then he heads back into his burrow. Also according to Bobby all of his reds are already out for the season, so most likely yours (and mine) are going under too regardless of how we keep our light cycles.

madaboutlizards

5 Year Member
My pair of reds from Bobby went down about 10 days ago. Prior to this they slowed down on eating until they refused anything offered. I saw the male twice for about 30 minutes, but have not seen either one in the lsat 4-5 days.

Since I plan on breeding them I am letting them hibernate. I have a hard time not checking on them (digging them out of their burrows), but I have resisted the temptation......so far!!

Terry

5 Year Member
I don't have a red, but my black and white has slowed down. He has been eating less, sleeping more.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
It’s_me