• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Guard mode and the female tegu

VARNYARD

Former Admin
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Tegu females can often get very nasty after being bred, due to guarding the nest and eggs. Some will even do this after the nest and eggs are removed. Here is a video clip that shows this, note the body posture. I also had to remove the male after this clip was shot, the female tried to attack him as well.
Click on the link:
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JiZAtn8fmtI">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JiZAtn8fmtI</a><!-- m -->

Mike

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
You remove the mother before retrieving eggs, correct? How do you go about doing that without getting bitten?

VARNYARD

Former Admin
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I eather catch her and remove her from the cage, or use a divider to keep her on the other end of the enclosure.

PuffDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Do males ever exhibit aggression during breeding season? how about guarding the eggs? Do they help with that as well?

G

How about a warm cup of "get the hell out of my goddamn house!"
lol, damn bobby, you are a herper, more guts than brains. she was pissed with a capital P.

VARNYARD

Former Admin
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Most of the time, the males are not welcome around the nest either, I have never seen the males helping with the nest building.

You are also very right, she was not a happy camper, lol. :)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980